In case you are really bored.

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

LonLB

In case you are really bored.

Post by LonLB » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:25 am

I'm rebuilding an old Sea Nymph boat. I had a new Tracker back when I first joined in 06' but sold it when I got divorced.

I replaced it with a Hydra Sports Bass boat, and sold it last fall. It just wasn't an appropriate boat for our family-(3 boys hers, mine, and ours [smilie=2thumbsup.gif] )

Anyhow I bought this boat Jan 1st, and this is the thread documenting my "progress". Basically a Musky boat built from scratch

http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=16904

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:50 pm

I did a remodel last winter it was fun but not something I have any interest in doing again for a few years. There are photos in the members area in the photo section under the title "Targa facelift... (photo blog)"
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

LonLB

Post by LonLB » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:28 pm

Nice work. That turned out great!

I'm converting mine to a tiller, and I'm working on rebuilding the splash well today. These old boats had huge splash wells.

It's neat taking something from nothing to nice, but I agree with you, I won't want to do this for some time. And won't. I'd much rather buy another depth finder or a bigger trolling motor than wiring, switches, plywood, tiller handles, livewells and other 'stuff'

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:56 pm

Lon, i saw this post on Muskiefirst, i did a complete remake last year of the very first model tuffy.

I gutted the whole thing which was rotted along with the transom and rebuilt it all with my dad. I had a few pics up, but i never took any digital pics of it when it was finished. I will probably do that this spring once i finish adding some improvements to it before the season starts.

Looks like you got a lot of work, but could be a fun project. I gained a lot of interest in doing add-on's and other tweaks to my boat from this project and look forward to more this spring

detroithardcore

Post by detroithardcore » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:10 pm

I give you boat remodelers and builders a lot of credit. That takes some serious skill and commitment. I hope I never have to do it or I'll be swimming with muskies rather than catching them. The reward has to be so sweet though! Knowing your rig is awesome and rebuilt because of your determination. I give you guys so much credit!! Keep up the great work, it's something to be very proud of....
Scott

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:49 pm

Scott, just think with your Queen Mary you just have to get new Tea Service!! :roll:

Chris Musselman

Post by Chris Musselman » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:55 pm

Really cool project, I've been thinking about doing something with my boat but even though I grew up in a shop I always manage to screw something up and end up dumping money into unfinished/poorly done projects...

Reading through this thread as well as some others made me realize that preparation, research, and doing things the right way is the key. Looks like its time to put some hard work and effort in.
If I'm not going to catch fish. I might as well not be catching Muskies...

LonLB

Post by LonLB » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:30 pm

Ive still got a head ache from the paint stripper. :shock:

I got the majority of the splash well rebuilt last night and this morning.

I should have the majority of the interior done in a week or two. Hopefully more like in a week.

Chris Musselman

Post by Chris Musselman » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:21 pm

Found a livewell. I liked the long skinny setup since I'll be Musky fishing a bunch.
This one stumped me, is this in reference to keeping musky in the livewell or just for more deckroom ect...?

LonLB

Post by LonLB » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:10 am

Chris Musselman wrote:
Found a livewell. I liked the long skinny setup since I'll be Musky fishing a bunch.
This one stumped me, is this in reference to keeping musky in the livewell or just for more deckroom ect...?

The last fish I kept was a walleye three years ago, and the only reason I kept that was because my dad was with us. So I sent it home with him.

More for if you need it to revive a fish, you have it, vs you may not need it, but if you do, you won't have it.

detroithardcore

Post by detroithardcore » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:13 am

Livewell's come in handy when you need to recoop a LEGAL fish. I've put struggling fish in my 50" livewell just for a few minutes to regain strength in rough water. It's Aerated and works out good sometimes for a fish that might need a little love. The key thing is by law the fish needs to be of legal limit. Even though you have no intention of keeping the fish and maybe doing a good thing, it must be legal. I rarely use it but keep it filled and recirculating so I'm dealing with fresh water.
Scott

Chris Musselman

Post by Chris Musselman » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:27 pm

Ah that explains it. Excited to see how your boat turns out, just started tearing mine apart. Thanks for the inspiration :grin:

LonLB

Post by LonLB » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:21 pm

I did some searching last Friday and was able to gather some trolling motor information. I thought I'd toss it up here.

I've got a 55lb P/D V2 trolling motor. It's not going to be long enough, or powerful enough. BUT, It was given to me. I can't sell it and recoup enough to buy a bigger motor so.........

You can convert a 12v P/D to 24v 70lb thrust by changing some parts.
Northland Marine sells a 24v control board for $110. The Armature is $72, and you do have to change the lower unit housing. It's $45.

So if you have a smaller 12v motor and want to go bigger you can spend $800+ or spend $227 and do a little work and have a more powerful motor.

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:57 am

here is how rotted the previous guy that originally owned it long ago left the boat cause of all the holes and modifications he did on it.

The thing must have collected a lot of water over the 30 years it has been around for.

Redoing the transom that was rotted out.

The side shelf that was rotted after we re applied the fiber glass wall that we cut away and re filled it with foam

LonLB

Post by LonLB » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:41 am

swanezy THAT is allot of work.

My Hydra Sports needed work when I bought it too, and I would NOT want to work on a glass boat like that again. Aluminum boats are easy by comparison.

I'd love to see more pictures of that boat!