In case you are really bored.

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:47 am

LonLB wrote:I did some searching last Friday and was able to gather some trolling motor information. I thought I'd toss it up here.

I've got a 55lb P/D V2 trolling motor. It's not going to be long enough, or powerful enough. BUT, It was given to me. I can't sell it and recoup enough to buy a bigger motor so.........

You can convert a 12v P/D to 24v 70lb thrust by changing some parts.
Northland Marine sells a 24v control board for $110. The Armature is $72, and you do have to change the lower unit housing. It's $45.

So if you have a smaller 12v motor and want to go bigger you can spend $800+ or spend $227 and do a little work and have a more powerful motor.
I'm interested in knowing how this goes, if you do it! My 42# Minn Kota is way too wimpy for my boat, and I can't afford buying a new one.
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

LonLB

Post by LonLB » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:03 am

hemichemi wrote:
LonLB wrote:I did some searching last Friday and was able to gather some trolling motor information. I thought I'd toss it up here.

I've got a 55lb P/D V2 trolling motor. It's not going to be long enough, or powerful enough. BUT, It was given to me. I can't sell it and recoup enough to buy a bigger motor so.........

You can convert a 12v P/D to 24v 70lb thrust by changing some parts.
Northland Marine sells a 24v control board for $110. The Armature is $72, and you do have to change the lower unit housing. It's $45.

So if you have a smaller 12v motor and want to go bigger you can spend $800+ or spend $227 and do a little work and have a more powerful motor.
I'm interested in knowing how this goes, if you do it! My 42# Minn Kota is way too wimpy for my boat, and I can't afford buying a new one.

I may not get it done till later this year....I've got so many other expenses.

IF you have a smaller housing you would have to buy the entire lower unit. Jones Trolling motors sells them for $180 for a complete lower unit for a 70lb 24v motor. Then you would have to buy the control board for $110.
Still much cheaper than a complete motor.

If you have the 3-7/8 or 3-5/8 housing (can't remember which) you won't need the entire unit, just the housing, and armature....

Esoxonthefly

Post by Esoxonthefly » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:09 pm

Looks good so far, I'm curious to see how it comes out.