Baitcaster?

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

ccmovi8

Baitcaster?

Post by ccmovi8 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:08 am

I am finally going to make the jump up to a baitcaster! One question I have is do i need to be afraid of it lol. how hard is it to get used to it since I have never used one before?

ccmovi8

Post by ccmovi8 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:11 am

and does anyone have one they would like to sell? I am looking for one that holds heavy line and lot's of it. I am going to use it for the great lakes too so I need one that can hold enogh line to get down to the deep water.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:15 am

Sounds almost like you're looking for a casting and trolling reel. Is that right?
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Chris Musselman

Post by Chris Musselman » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:29 am

do i need to be afraid of it
No. I took a buddy of mine out a few days ago who had never used a baitcaster and within a couple of casts he was comfortable with it. Its really not that hard.

The biggest thing is that the reel will have an adjustable knob on the side that controls the brake and generally you want to tighten or loosen that knob until when the reel is released your bait will fall and when it hits the ground it will stop turning. This will save you a lot of misery if you do it right and you shouldn't have a problem with the spool overturning on your casts. If this happens (you'll know by the giant tangle in your line) just tighten the brake until you can cast freely.

Hope that helps and good luck making the transition, its really easy.
If I'm not going to catch fish. I might as well not be catching Muskies...

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:37 am

Concur. If I can do it, anyone can. :roll:
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

ccmovi8

Post by ccmovi8 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:46 am

yes I think I want a cast and trolling reel. If anyone has one they want to sell let me know. I dont have tons of money to give for one but I really want one. I have a big spinning reel right now and I know I need to upgrade. I have the wrong tool for the job I want to do.

vano397

Post by vano397 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:22 pm

I had to make the transition too when i started musky fishing a couple years ago. I tried for about a week to do it with heavy spining tackle, and quickly realized i was underpowered, and it makes you work about 5 times harder than with the right tackle.
The best thing about starting with musky sized lures is they are heavy...the wind does not effect them nearly as much, therefore you have more consistent casts (unless its like 20 mph of course). I was also suprised how much easier it was with braided line vs mono, i was a little concerned about the cost and destruction if i screwed up, but its easier with baraid so don't be afraid to get good line.
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:02 pm

ccmovi8 wrote:yes I think I want a cast and trolling reel. If anyone has one they want to sell let me know. I dont have tons of money to give for one but I really want one. I have a big spinning reel right now and I know I need to upgrade. I have the wrong tool for the job I want to do.
I would strongly suggest two reels. A sturdy trolling reel isn't a good casting reel and you don't want to put a casting reel through the rigors of trolling. Can it be done? Sure but it's like using a flat head screwdriver to put in a phillips head screw. If money is tight my suggestion is to pick one and gear up correctly for that method because it's not just the reel that is different. Many/most trolling situations are best done w/ monofilament, conversely the 40# mono you'll want for trolling isn't good at all for casting where you'll want 80-100# braid.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

ccmovi8

Post by ccmovi8 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:06 pm

yes I went up to gander mtn and took a look at what they have and i'm just going to get a casting reel. and when i want to do some trolling im going to get something different.