Sanford update

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Esoxonthefly

Sanford update

Post by Esoxonthefly » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:45 pm

Anyone checked the level lately? Is the work finished on the dam? I'd like to get up that way before the lake freezes.

Bomba

Post by Bomba » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:37 am

They are in the process of raising the water now. 3" a day is what I heard.
Still can't launch a boat though.
Don Bomba

"PASS IT ON"

Esoxonthefly

Post by Esoxonthefly » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:09 pm

Glad to hear the lake is at least on the way up. Thanks

Scrappy

Post by Scrappy » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:08 am

I stopped by the Sanford Park launch last night and it looks usable now althought there are still signs at the enterance saying the beach and launch are closed due to low water. No doubt in a week or less the lake will be usable again although my bet is the Sanford Lake Marina launch may be a bit of a challenge if you have a larger/heavier boat like me.
Stupid Fish!!!!

Burglar34

Sanford Lake update

Post by Burglar34 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:31 pm

Hey guys I was looking forward to fishing Sanford when to water came back up but the work on the dam is taking longer than expected (of Course) and the water level is still to low to launch a boat and since they lower the water level in the winter they are now talking about leaving the water level where its at for the winter. Looks like I'll be on Budd lake the rest of the year.

Esoxonthefly

Post by Esoxonthefly » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:01 pm

That really sucks. I was looking forward to hitting Sanford once hunting season is over. After 4 months of no pressure thise muskies will probably be pretty dumb to lures.

Burglar34

Sanford Lake Update

Post by Burglar34 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:51 am

Yeah when they lowered the lake 4 ft it killed a ton of the shallow weeds so I was looking forward to doing some trolling in the channel since the musky should be there in the remaining weeds.

vano397

Post by vano397 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:01 am

i found this on the sanford lake association website

http://sanfordlakeassociation.org/

To Sanford Lake Association Board of Directors from Lee Mueller:

On Thursday, October 7th two wet spots in the embankment returned where they had previously been observed last August. At the same time, the water levels in two of the three monitoring wells began to rise above acceptable levels. As a consequence it became necessary to return to a lowering of the Sanford Lake water level. Initially we dropped the level down to just under minus two feet for a couple of days, but the wet spots did not go away, and the water levels in the monitoring wells remained higher than is acceptable before the construction work is completed. We have now dropped the water level to at least a minus three feet and we will keep it there until next spring when the winter draw-down period is concluded.

Lee W. Mueller, Architect & Co-Member Manager
Boyce Hydro, LLC
6000 South M-30 (P.O. Box 15)
Edenville, MI 48620
tel: (989) 689-3161 / fax: (989) 689-3055
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”

vano397

Post by vano397 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:02 am

basically what you had already said, i know. but its a place that at least updates the progress for those who are wondering about it.
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:55 am

I don't live downstream from that, do I? :shock:

:mrgreen:
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

Tory

Post by Tory » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:36 pm

I was thinking about a Sanford trip to meet up with my buddy returning home from WI to the East side of the state (Thanksgiving Weekend). Does not look like that will happen. If we still wanted to plan a one day adventure...would you recommend Budd or Wixom? I guess we could always cast Anchor Bay if the weather allowed too.

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:04 am

Both good choices. If you have not fished Wixom before (and even if you have) it is possible to feel a little "lost" out there just because its big, long and basically looks like you should be fishing every inch of it, which would take a couple years to do. So that can be intimidating on day one, but if that doesn't bother you then the upside is greater on Wixom with unlimited size potential. And you are almost sure to have some pike action in between longer musky dry spells. On Budd, you can can almost be assured of seeing some muskies, and it does put out good sized fish too. Because of its size and clear water, you can pretty much fish the whole lake and every spot twice in a day out there. Good luck

Burglar34

Post by Burglar34 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:33 pm

I like Budd. It's small and easy to cover. The muskies seem to only average around 36in but there are some beauties in there. Make sure you check out the deep water there are huge schools of blue gill and muskies feeding on them. The SE corner of the lake from the fishing pier down my favorite area to cast. But thats just my opinion and I'm a newbie.

Burglar34

Sanford Lake Update

Post by Burglar34 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:48 am

Hey guys I heard of the news the other night that the dam owner won't pay for the repairs on the dam. The cost is about $85,000 and wants sanford businesses and residents to pay for the repairs. I don't understand how he can do this but it's a ugly situation and I've heard that several lawsuits have been filed from residents when the lake was lowered with little notice causing there boat to become beached at the dock. Anyone looking to fish Sanford in the next 6 months should look into doing it through the ice, from shore or from a boat you can carry.

Esoxonthefly

Post by Esoxonthefly » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:55 am

This pisses me off. His dam, his responsibilty to fix it. He makes money from that dam so I really don't think it'd be worth it to him to not fix it. Whenever the lake gets back to normal levels those muskies should be good and dumb.