Ovid outing

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Bomba

Ovid outing

Post by Bomba » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:29 am

I am unable to attend the outing, and Scott is in need of a gas grill
to cook lunch on, (he only loves me for my grill) :oops:

Does anyone have a grass grill they can bring along to help
out with?

if so post here or let Scott know.

thanks
Don Bomba

"PASS IT ON"

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:50 am

No, I don't. I only have one of those enormous stainless ones.

But, there's a second pavillion at the beach now, and it has a big (5-6-foot-long) charcoal grill right next to it...
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

Scrappy

Post by Scrappy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:50 am

I'll be sticking to 2 small portable propane grills and hope to be able to push out food fast enough.
Stupid Fish!!!!

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:33 pm

If you need help with setting up and cooking, let me know. I do all the cooking chez moi.
Don't drink and derive.

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:14 pm

hemichemi wrote:If you need help with setting up and cooking, let me know. I do all the cooking chez moi.
There's a BIG difference between cooking and grilling! You gotta have some big stones to grill for a bunch of muskie nuts! [smilie=brows.gif] You up for the challunge? :mrgreen:

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:19 pm

Jim tenHaaf wrote:
hemichemi wrote:If you need help with setting up and cooking, let me know. I do all the cooking chez moi.
There's a BIG difference between cooking and grilling! You gotta have some big stones to grill for a bunch of muskie nuts! [smilie=brows.gif] You up for the challunge? :mrgreen:
Are you kidding? We could probably serve up stone-cold hog swill and it'd still get gobbled up by our crew. Myself included! :mrgreen:

As long as it's free. :twisted:
Don't drink and derive.

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:31 pm

Tom, are you bringing chemicals from the lab for secret sauce?

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:35 pm

hemichemi wrote:
Jim tenHaaf wrote:
Are you kidding? We could probably serve up stone-cold hog swill and it'd still get gobbled up by our crew. Myself included! :mrgreen:

As long as it's free. :twisted:
LMAO!!! Image

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:14 pm

Steve S wrote:Tom, are you bringing chemicals from the lab for secret sauce?
Shhhhh!
Don't drink and derive.

DGF

Post by DGF » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:17 am

I have one of those round charcoal grills I could bring if it would help. It's nothing fancy but should be able to do the trick. I'd be more than happy to help cook up some dogs as well or whatever else may be needed to keep things rolling smoothly.
-Dan

Bomba

Post by Bomba » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:56 am

For some reason Scotts anti charcoal, he wants propane!! [smilie=bangtard.gif]

Hemi, I'm sure Scott would appreciate the help, thanks!
Don Bomba

"PASS IT ON"

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:41 pm

If I can fit my Weber in the backseat of my work truck so I can lock it up, I'll bring it.

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:42 pm

Some info on the lake, for those who are coming:

The weeds are pretty fabulous this year, in sharp contrast to the devastation that happened in July/August last year. There aren't a lot of emergent weeds, but the submerged weeds are a lot more extensive then they've been recently. I've been finding fish at the submerged edges fairly regularly. These occur at ~10-11' almost everywhere. 95% of the weeds are eurasian milfoil; the rest is coontail, but that's fairly spread out.

There's a decent algae bloom going on right now; lots of floating green powder on the surface yesterday, and a greenish tint to the water. Water was in the low 60s, with about 3-4' visibility, mostly from the usual tea-staining but also some moderate turbidity, varying from place to place. Follows are not easy to see, at least for me. When the sun is shining, you can make out the nearly-emergent edges fairly easily; not so much when it's overcast.

The new launch is 100% complete, and except for having a larger parking lot and different parking layout, it's almost unchanged from before. It's still a one-way flow-through launch, with prep and tie-up lanes in the same place as before. The new access road to it is on Price Road about 300 feet east of the Shepherdsville Road intersection.

There is a large L-shaped dock at the beach now, and hopefully the "drawbridge" to it will still be down on Saturday. It was still down yesterday... That'll make it more amenable to pulling up for lunch!

See you all there, hopefully.
Don't drink and derive.

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:02 pm

It was good to see everyone at the outing. Would have been nice if the weather and fish would have cooperated. Great burgers and dogs thanks to Betty Crocker, I mean Scott. And especially to Doc Schultz for the weather reports.

DGF

Post by DGF » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:02 pm

I agree! The food was great and the price even better. It was nice to meet some more people.

I stayed till around five and was able to move 1 fish once some of the weather cleared. Just a tease with no love to report. [smilie=brickwall.gif]
-Dan