Which one should I fish, Smallwood, Secord, Winyah or Margr.

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

detroithardcore

Which one should I fish, Smallwood, Secord, Winyah or Margr.

Post by detroithardcore » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:23 pm

I'm going to be back up in East Tawas next week and looking to spend some time on some new water. It will be a change from LSC but trying to decide what lake will be my best option. I've looked at DNR stocking reports and the lakes within a reasonable drive are: Smallwood, Secord, Winyah and Margethe. If anyone spends time on these lakes or any idea on where I would enjoy targeting Muskie please let me know. I'll be able to fish during the work week so boat traffic shouldn't be an issue but I'm looking for a lake with decent fish and nice body of water to fish. Any thoughts or ideas of these lakes would be greately appreciated.
Scott

Duke

Post by Duke » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:48 am

Scott,
You can probably guess from the stocking reports that Secord & Smallwood probably have the biggest fish and might also be your best bets to see muskies as well. They both have steeper, weedy breaklines that can make the fishing "easier" if the fish are cooperating & active. By that I mean you don't have too much mystery in searching for them. Secord especially has seemingly endless breaklines, coves & cuts that makes it feel a lot bigger than it is. Smallwood is a little less interesting structure-wise, more just like a big river. They both would be kinda like a whole different world than St. Clair!

Margrethe wouldn't feel so different though- big wide open clear water with just a little green color (vs. the Titt impoundments which have brown stained water- not really muddy though unless it rains). Its got big weedbeds, some steep breaklines into deep water, and some cool mid-lake structure. There are some real nice fish in Margrethe too now. Winyah I don't know about, except that the biggest fish are probably just now getting around 40".

Good luck sounds like fun!

detroithardcore

Post by detroithardcore » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:52 am

Thanks Duke,

These are all new lakes to me and should be fun trying to figure out where these fish are. I enjoy exploring new areas and if I hook up, it makes it so much sweeter knowing I found some fish on new water. Thanks again for the advice. It's much appreciated!!
Scott