Asian Carp Canal Closure Petition

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Esoxonthefly

Post by Esoxonthefly » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:13 am

3057 count me in!

rjbass

Post by rjbass » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:37 am

done deal.... [smilie=2thumbsup.gif]

finlander

Asian carp petition

Post by finlander » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:55 pm

Done. Number 3147.

marc

Post by marc » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:34 pm

I'm # 3822

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:30 pm

Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox just published this statement:
=================================================
Stop Asian Carp

Thank you again for standing with me to protect hundreds-of-thousands of Michigan jobs and the Great Lakes from the immediate crisis posed by Asian carp.

Your efforts over the past month have helped put the pressure on President Obama and Washington, and although most in D.C. continue to stand in the way of a desperately needed solution, some have begun taking notice.

Because you care so deeply about this issue, I wanted to send you a quick update to keep you aprised of the latest developments.

Late yesterday the Obama administration set a February 8th date for a meeting with the governors from Michigan and Wisconsin. If Governor Granholm can get the locks closed in such a summit it would be good news for Michigan and the Great Lakes. Meanwhile, I will continue to pursue all avenues to ensure we protect the Great Lakes and our jobs from the threat of Asian Carp.

The U.S. Supreme Court is still considering Michigan's request to close Chicago-area locks connecting carp-infested waterways to Lake Michigan and has set a deadline for other states and interested parties to submit briefs by February 19. President Obama continues to defend the narrow interests of his home state but others are beginning to act.

Over the course of the last week, thanks in large part to your efforts, new bi-partisan efforts to protect the Lakes have been launched by lawmakers in our State and Nation's capitol.

Congressman Camp and Senator Stabenow launched the CARP Act, Michigan's full Congressional delegation has signed a letter asking the President's administration to act quickly and state lawmakers have formed the Michigan House Shoreline Caucus and are preparing to file an amicus brief with the Supreme Court backing Michigan's request to protect jobs and close the locks.

Below you will find links to recent media coverage of these and other positive developments.

Unfortunately, there is still much more work to be done. The most recent carp DNA evidence, found in Lake Michigan, indicates this invasive species may be setting up shop inside the Great Lakes as we speak. The front door to Lake Michigan remains wide open even as these waterborne aliens threaten to devastate the Lakes' $7 billion fishery and hundreds of thousands of jobs connected to the health of the Lakes. The need for each of us to act has never been greater.

Thank YOU for standing up and making a difference.

Sincerely,

Mike Cox
Attorney General

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/environm ... 01-25.html
http://www.grandhaventribune.com/paid/3 ... 413064.bsp
http://www.mlive.com/opinion/muskegon/i ... s_ove.html
http://www.southbendtribune.com/article ... googleNews
==================================================

It may already be too late, but it won't hurt to close that dayum canal!
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

Mark D. Platt

Post by Mark D. Platt » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:29 pm

I'm in #4021

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:02 pm

More from MI Attorney General Mike Cox:

Asian Carp Update Meetings Coming Next Week!
Thank you for actively participating in the fight to stop Asian carp from entering the Great Lakes. I would like to invite you to attend one of the upcoming informational meetings being held around Michigan on the current status of the Asian carp crisis. Please feel free to join me, your congressman and local community members to discuss the devastating impact an Asian carp invasion would have on the Great Lakes and the economy.

Traverse City
With Congressman Dave Camp
Wednesday February 17, 2010
11:00 – 12:00 pm

Great Lakes Maritime Academy
715 East Front Street
Traverse City, MI

St. Joseph

With Congressman Fred Upton
Thursday February 18, 2010
11:00 – 12:00 pm

St. Joseph Public Library
500 Market Street
St. Joseph, MI

Grand Rapids

With Congressman Vern Ehlers
Monday February 22, 2010
10:00 – 11:00 am

Gerald Ford Museum Auditorium
303 Pearl Street NW
Grand Rapids, MI
(616) 254-0400

We are working to add more meetings in other parts of the State, so if there is not one in your area yet, we hope to have one soon.

Federal Response to Carp Crisis is not Enough

As you may have heard, this week the Obama administration released a list of 25 proposals they may undertake to battle Asian carp. However, the ONE thing they could have done to STOP the threat, closing the Chicago locks, was not on the list. In fact, they actually proposed several scenarios in which the locks would be left open several days per week. That would be like keeping criminals in jail four days a week and hoping the other three days go OK. If you care about the Great Lakes and the jobs connected to them, it just doesn’t make sense.

The bottom line is that their proposals completely lack a sense of urgency. That is why Michigan has been joined by New York, Ohio, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Pennsylvania in our fight before the Supreme Court to close the Chicago locks and find a long-term solution.

Thank You for Calling the White House!

I want to personally thank you for calling the White House this week to let them know your views on the Asian carp issue. While I understand many of you were turned away by White House operators, please know that your efforts do make a difference.

Share with a Friend!

If you think your friends have not signed up at http://StopAsianCarp.com, please forward this message to them so they can stay up-to-date.

I look forward to seeing you this coming week.

Sincerely,

Mike Cox
Michigan Attorney General
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.