New GL Muskellunge State Record

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Will Schultz

New GL Muskellunge State Record

Post by Will Schultz » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:56 pm

This fish was officially verified by Michigan DNR biologists at the Charlevoix Office today.

Weight: 50lb 8oz.
Length: 55"
Angler: Kyle Anderson

Last edited by Will Schultz on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

fisheslikevulture

drat

Post by fisheslikevulture » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:42 pm

weighed in in Charleviox... I, and probably everyone else, has an idea of at least the chain that came out of. Sad sad sad. I am gonna fish there this weekend and I am SURE I woulda caught her. That fish is so pretty I woulda kissed her right on the lips. Maybe tongue, maybe not.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:16 pm

I'm not going to let any bashing of this angler happen. If you want to complain about this fish being dead do it somewhere else.

He attempted to release the fish and she died, it happens sometimes.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

detroithardcore

Post by detroithardcore » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:25 pm

Well, then I completely understand. Congrats to him!
Scott

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:41 pm

Absolutely beautiful fish! A big congrats goes out to the angler for catching her. Even though I don't like seeing fish killed I am not very upset seeing these giants kept compared to 42-48" fish being kept. This truly is a fish of a lifetime. There are some big fish in Michigan after all haha.
The Musky Bandit strikes again!

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:24 am

I still feel sick. Sick like it hurts . Well if he tried to release her at least he tried. Ill fly the flag at half mast and wish him well. The girth had to be about 27 eh?
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

http://www.fishall-lures.com

John E. Sox

Post by John E. Sox » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:36 am

Seriously, it's a state record. I'm sure the guy releases his fish normally. What a turn-off it is to have to hear anything besides 'congratulations' to a guy who just caught a 50 lber in MI. If we are trying to promote our sport and attract members, then let's keep the little 'wish he would of let it go' comments to ourselves.

Steve Horton

Post by Steve Horton » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:43 am

Will and John, thanks for sharing that fish. Congrats to the angler. Sure is a beautiful fish. Scary big. Gonna try to get one of those this weekend but a little further west of where he caught his.

mskyprey

Post by mskyprey » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:51 am

Its an awesome fish and the people who promote and preserve the fishery are to be commended for the opportunities they are providing to us anglers. Great catch, looks like the TC area is the place to retire!

Larry Porter

Post by Larry Porter » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:29 am

It is hard to argue with 55 inches and thick all the way down!
How old was that fish?

Hamilton Reef

Post by Hamilton Reef » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:43 am

Try to be positive and use this record fish as documentation that with good muskie management Michigan can produce the large muskie to make Michigan the leader of Great Lakes muskie fishery. That fish can be a long term motivational tool to help bring dollars and managemnt support for the muskie program during the present tough finanacial period. If this fish is promoted properly then it may not have died in vain and a healthier muskie fishery will develop and survive for the future.

Steve Horton

Post by Steve Horton » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:47 am

PFMA Positive Fish Management Attitude.......words of wisdom Reef.

TimD

Record fish

Post by TimD » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:15 am

Hamilton reef,

I agree! This should be looked at as the MMA being at the least partially reponsible for the current state of musky fisheries in the state of Michigan and this great 50lb class fish. A loss of a great fish but hopefully a positive eye opener for the DNR and the GLS program.

jean michalak

Post by jean michalak » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:14 am

Nobody feels worse about the fish not making it then Kyle. He always practices catch and release and he gave this fish over an hour to revive and it just was not happening. He never made the decision to "kill" the fish.
So please, instead of bashing someone who has more respect for the water and the fish than most, how about some positive comments.

Awesome fish Kyle, and as we have told you many times, nobody deserves a fish like that more than you. Congratulations budddy. Dan and Jean

detroithardcore

Post by detroithardcore » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:49 am

I think that is awesome he spent an hour trying to revive the fish and a big congrats to him for landing such a beautiful fish. It had to be such an amazing experience. It sounds like he defintely deserved that record.
Scott