Night Fishing

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

biiigfish32

Night Fishing

Post by biiigfish32 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:18 pm

I went out night fishing on Campau last night. My buddy hooked one at about 930 but he didnt get it to the boat. I caught a 13 inch bass on a big in-line spinner at about the same time. We worked in about 7-10 ft deep water around big weed clumps. We spoted about a 33inch fish at 130, and a little one up close to shore. Does anybody have any pointers on night fishing or what I was doing wrong?
Corey P (biiigfish32)

kid coulson

Post by kid coulson » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:34 pm

Biiigfish,
Just because you didnt score doesnt necessarily mean you did
anything wrong. Keep trying you'll stick one.
One important thing to do is check your lures alot for weeds.
When its dark its a little harder to tell if caught a small weed. I
also troll a little more steady vs moving the boat/lures all over.
I really dont know but I think it would help them catch the lure
in the dark. Good luck man!

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:05 pm

Night fishing is much harder because you dont know if you are having follows or not so the confidence can go down quickly. It sounds like you were doing pretty good since you did have a fish on. Like kid said, just because you didn't catch one doesn't mean you were doing anything wrong. Muskies are tough and it is very hard to catch them. What baits were you throwing? I like throwing topwaters and bucktails at night and have heard to slow them down a good amount. I havent down a lot of night fishing so cant be too much help, but keep at it and it will come.
The Musky Bandit strikes again!

BrokenWing

Post by BrokenWing » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:47 pm

First off start with the right tools, headlamps and large spot lights help a lot. I just had our first trip at night on Lake St Clair and it was awesome. I knew the places that held fish in the daytime so we worked those areas and a little closer. We used towater and inlines but I really like the topwater. There is something about hearing the strike!! I also found myself working the lures too fast. At night you can see the lures and have a lot better sense of how the lures are running. At night it is different.

Figure 8 after every cast!!

Rich

Will Schultz

Re: Night Fishing

Post by Will Schultz » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:53 am

biiigfish32 wrote:I went out night fishing on Campau last night. My buddy hooked one at about 930 but he didnt get it to the boat. I caught a 13 inch bass on a big in-line spinner at about the same time. We worked in about 7-10 ft deep water around big weed clumps. We spoted about a 33inch fish at 130, and a little one up close to shore. Does anybody have any pointers on night fishing or what I was doing wrong?
One thing that sticks out is that you mentioned that you spotted a couple fish. I've always lived by the rule that the more you use lights in the boat the more likely you are to spook fish. Obviously you need to be legal on the water but I'm talking headlamps, spotlights, etc. It really doesn't sound like you were doing anything wrong, some lakes have certain lures that work at night and often it's a matter of finding those lures.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Esoxonthefly

Post by Esoxonthefly » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:41 pm

Topraider worked s-l-o-w-l-y [smilie=2thumbsup.gif]

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:06 pm

Bulldawg worked quickly!!! [smilie=2thumbsup.gif] LOL!!

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:18 pm

Hawg Wobbler The only way you can work them is Real S L O W!!!!!

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:50 pm

Steve S wrote:Hawg Wobbler The only way you can work them is Real S L O W!!!!!
Heard great things about them, and have one myself. Never any luck on one tho. I don't use it that much because of that reason - it's painful to work it so slow. The only time it really sees any water time is when I'm heading back to the launch, set the trolling motor on speed 1, and let it wobble behind the boat.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:57 pm

HAHAHAHA... you guys are funny. There isn't a lure that won't work at night surface, cranks, jerks, rubber, bucktails, jigs, etc. it all works. That said, a surface strike at night is about as cool as it gets! As far as speed goes, sometimes more is better and sometimes less is more.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

detroithardcore

Post by detroithardcore » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:13 pm

Tallywacker Black. I had my first topwater strike last friday and it was awesome!
Scott

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:24 pm

Scott, that's my favorite. Mine is so beat up he has a nickname, Mr. Smileyface!! He still get's the job done. Another fun lure to listen to at night is a creeper.

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:01 pm

Will Schultz wrote:HAHAHAHA... you guys are funny. There isn't a lure that won't work at night surface, cranks, jerks, rubber, bucktails, jigs, etc. it all works. That said, a surface strike at night is about as cool as it gets! As far as speed goes, sometimes more is better and sometimes less is more.
Topwater sucks!!! :evil: [smilie=biggrin.gif] LOL!

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:17 pm

Jim, there is nothing more fun tan getting one on a topwater!! [smilie=2thumbsup.gif] [smilie=applause.gif] :grin: [smilie=brows.gif] :mrgreen: [smilie=biggrin.gif] :cool:

Esoxonthefly

Post by Esoxonthefly » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:23 pm

Will Schultz wrote:HAHAHAHA... you guys are funny. There isn't a lure that won't work at night surface, cranks, jerks, rubber, bucktails, jigs, etc. it all works. That said, a surface strike at night is about as cool as it gets! As far as speed goes, sometimes more is better and sometimes less is more.
Tell that to the fish on Chicagon [smilie=bs.gif] That lake is hard to figure out!