Sturgeon in the Grand River?

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Jim tenHaaf

Sturgeon in the Grand River?

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Thu May 21, 2009 9:30 pm

Anyone else read this thread on MI Sportsman? I didn't know there were Sturgeon in the Grand! I'm guessing VERY few and far between. Pretty sad story, too.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum ... p?t=288992

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Fri May 22, 2009 8:22 am

Every year they come up to spawn, not very many though. They are hanging on by a thread because of all the things "we" have done to ruin spawning waters. Then again if you snag and poach them like the idiot in that thread I guess we don't need to worry about spawning water.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Esoxonthefly

Post by Esoxonthefly » Fri May 22, 2009 2:38 pm

Yeah I saw that thread, stuff like that just kills me.

biiigfish32

sturgen

Post by biiigfish32 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:47 pm

They had this posted at Gander mtn in GR. $1000 reward
Corey P (biiigfish32)

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:14 pm

yea it was also on the news, they have the make and model of his car, just not the license plate. Also pictures of him, so its only a matter of time till he gets his.

edalz

Post by edalz » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:17 pm

They caught the poacher that killed the Sturgeon....gotta love a happy ending!

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum ... ost2745961
"I wish ignorance was painful".

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:27 pm

That's great to hear! I just checked on that story 2 nights ago. Thanks for the link, Ed.

Hamilton Reef

Post by Hamilton Reef » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:42 pm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 24, 2009

Grand Rapids Man Scheduled for Arraignment July 9 in Sturgeon Poaching Case

A 30-year old Grand Rapids man is scheduled to be arraigned July 9 in 61st District Court in Grand Rapids on charges that he illegally caught and possessed a lake sturgeon. The charges stem from a May 17 incident on the Grand River in downtown Grand Rapids, when the man allegedly hooked the fish in the tail, brought it to the river bank, dragged it to a waiting pickup truck and left the area.

Several onlookers took photos on their cellphones of the man, and called after him to return the fish to the river, but he ignored them. Conservation officers from the Department of Natural Resources also will
be seeking charges against the man’s father, who allegedly aided and abetted the man at the scene, providing the pickup truck and driving away from the location.

The man turned himself in to the DNR’s Report All Poaching Hotline shortly after seeing media reports in the Grand Rapids area about the search for information on the incident.

Conservation officers have attempted to recover the fish, which the man told them he returned to the river dead, but the fish has not been located.

Poaching a lake sturgeon is punishable with jail time of 30 to 180 days, fines from $500 to $2,000, court costs and $1,500 in restitution to the state. Penalties also include revocation of his fishing license for the remainder of this year and for three following years.

The lake sturgeon is a protected species in Michigan, and is listed as a threatened species on the state’s threatened and endangered species list. It is illegal to keep them on most Michigan waters, with the
exception of limited seasons on Black Lake in Cheboygan County, the Michigan-Wisconsin boundary waters, Otsego Lake in Otsego County and on Lake St. Clair and the St. Clair River. Anglers who catch a lake sturgeon are required, under Michigan fishing regulations, to release them immediately.

The DNR is working to restore the native lake sturgeon population. Sturgeon can live to be 100 years old, but do not reproduce until later in life. It takes male sturgeons 15 to 20 years to reach sexual maturity, and females 20 to 25 years. Sturgeon spawn every four years.

Anyone with information about the incident or about the man who poached the fish should call the DNR’s Report All Poaching (RAP) Line at 800-292-7800. Information may be left confidentially.

The DNR is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state's natural resources for current and future generations.