Levelwind question

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Esoxonthefly

Levelwind question

Post by Esoxonthefly » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:46 pm

I understand the theory behind a levelwind but what is its advantage(if any) over a non-levelwind reel? Why do freshwater reels have them and saltwater reels don't?

edalz

Re: Levelwind question

Post by edalz » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:58 pm

Esoxonthefly wrote:I understand the theory behind a levelwind but what is its advantage(if any) over a non-levelwind reel? Why do freshwater reels have them and saltwater reels don't?
Check out the 4th post down and it makes sense and I grew up saltwater fishing and all the reels did not have levelwinds and keep in mind they are targeting huge fish with these reels.

http://fishwrecked.com/node/4924
"I wish ignorance was painful".

Esoxonthefly

Post by Esoxonthefly » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:43 pm

Okay so I get what they're saying so do you just guide the line with your finger in the same way a levelwind does?

edalz

Post by edalz » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:37 pm

Esoxonthefly wrote:Okay so I get what they're saying so do you just guide the line with your finger in the same way a levelwind does?
Yes, as the line comes in you use your thumb to keep it even. If you have ever seen the videos where a guy gets pulled overboard most of the time that's not the drag set wrong its a loop in the line(because the line gets stacked up in one spot) or the line wrapping around the rod tip.
"I wish ignorance was painful".

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:12 am

Esoxonthefly wrote:Okay so I get what they're saying so do you just guide the line with your finger in the same way a levelwind does?
If you keep the rod pointed directly at the lure the line will basically stack itself. If the rod is at an angle, even slightly, you will have to guide the line.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.