Im looking for new Rod/Reel for 09 season.

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:07 pm

Duke wrote:Spiderwire STEALTH is not the Spiderwire you are thinking of!!! Stealth is actually the best overall braided line probably, but all the brands are good.
I'm loving SpiderWire Stealth, too. It's nice and round, has great abrasion resistance, doesn't dig in, and is cheaper than some other Dyneema/Spectra superlines. I used 100# all season with no problems.
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:40 pm

yea with teh TUF line i have i never get backlashes.. I can whip any lure out as hard or light as i want and never get backlashes like you can on a bass baitcaster. When i get some new stuff ill try some new line.

I was looking at Okuma's and some ive seen in muskyhunter magazine

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:56 pm

I'm quite happy with my $99 Pflueger Trion 66's: non-disengaging level-wind, full-width thumb bar, bait clicker, solid cast-aluminum/machined construction, 5.2:1 retrieve, high-capacity spool. Even a newbie like me can cast with them all day with no backlashes.

http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/products ... ts.php?p=8

Don't drink and derive.

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:19 pm

The only problem with Okuma Induron IDX 400's is they have a little problem right now with the lure stopping mid-cast sometimes. I had one ordered for almost 8 weeks, and finally talked to a service rep. on another forum. He told me that their engineers are trying to work the problem out, but they don't know what's causing it. They've fixed countless reels on warranty, and shipped them back. But he said they were not going to send anymore new ones out until they get the problem solved. For the price, customer service, and usual quality, you can't beat the Okuma. But, I spent the extra money and got the Calcutta 400. Zero complaints on that reel so far.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:30 pm

There isn't much out there that isn't going to have a problem. The nature of the beast is that we're going to break, or wear out, reels. I have friends that throw just about anything that you can think of and they all have problems (some more than others). This doesn't seem to be a matter of "you get what you pay for" when it comes to muske reels. However, durability and lifespan are greatly dependent on how/what you fish and how often. For the average angler a reel will last for many years, for others they may need to be repaired each season.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:51 pm

What about the St. Croix reels? Steve

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:56 pm

Well, that's all Saric uses so it MUST be good! :roll:

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:58 pm

Steve S wrote:What about the St. Croix reels? Steve
I'm pretty sure they're still made by Diawa. They're good but will still have problems like any other reel out there.

SUDLABNIVEK

Post by SUDLABNIVEK » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:03 pm

Fenwick Elite Tech Musky Series is coming out with a new rod that is heavy with a flexing tip specifically for muskies and it is 8' and 8'6" and then the reel is a Abu Garcia Revo Toro 50 0r 60. The rods will be out soon. I am going to use this set up this season. Just my two cents

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:02 pm

I use Power pro 100 lb on big baits like my weagles and big dogs. I use 65 for medium baits and 40 for little baits like 205 cranes and #5 bucktails. Mostly pike when I am using the 40 pound. I use that lighter line on a bass reel(Phluger trion ) and that rod has lots of give (8 foot St. Croix bass flippin stick. 65 is my main line stuff for most medium lures but when you play with bigger baits at or over 3.5 ounces 80 or 100 is (not) overkill. Match the rods with the line tests and lures. Never throw big baits with light action rods and the opposite applies there as well. Heavy rods with tight drags and huge lines will straighten small hooks. So just use balance . Smaller baits lighter actions ,heavy baits with big hooks use 80 or 100 man. Kingfisher
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

http://www.fishall-lures.com

John E. Sox

Post by John E. Sox » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:14 pm

The best advice I can give someone is to stick with one type of reel and learn how to repair it. I buy the Pete Maina reels and have parts on hand for when they break down. Normally these reels will break pawls but are pretty flawless besides that. Casting muskie baits is probably the ultimate punishment for a baitcasting reel. When you combine the heavy, no-stretch line, heavy baits, tons of reeling, and opening and closing of the bail, you are being pretty tough on a reel. I quit looking for one that wouldn't break down a long time ago.

edalz

Post by edalz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:39 pm

I look at the reels but also the place that I purchase is very important as well. I buy most of my equipment at Cabela's and any issues I have are always addressed quickly and fairly and I my experience with Okuma and Shimano have also been very positive.
"I wish ignorance was painful".

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:22 pm

Michelle has three of the St. Croix reels. two of the 250 and one 300. They are lower profile and that works for her smaller hands. They have performed flawless for 4 years. One of them (her main one) is starting to have some issues of sticking. I think a good cleaning will take care of it. I had terrible luck with the Abu Records I have had two out of 6 fail on the first day using them. I am not impressed with the durability but love how smooth they are. The older model c-3 Abu seems to be built much better than the new ones. I have one that came with the round handles that is still going strong after 12 years. I like the Phluger trion low profile bass reel. Also 99 bucks and has the faster 6.3 to 1 ratio. Great for small baits and the spool fills with a 100 yard spool of 40 pound power pro. I have this reel on an 8 foot St. Croix Bass mag flippin stick. Almost zero effort to fish this set up tossing little crane baits and my new Rippin Shads. Its my main pike rod but I use it a lot on lakes with smaller muskies as well. Mike
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

http://www.fishall-lures.com

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:12 pm

I just got an email flyer from BPS with their Pete Maina round muskie reel on sale for $70. This reel is the same as the Pflueger Trion 66, I believe.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults
Don't drink and derive.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:37 pm

That 4:1 might be good for a grinding reel, lots of power for double 10 blades and big cranks.