Im looking for new Rod/Reel for 09 season.

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

swanezy
Site Admin

Im looking for new Rod/Reel for 09 season.

Post by swanezy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:44 pm

I have a bucktail and crank/body bait rod and reel already, but they are equipped with Shimano corsairs, and depending on the baits I can not get as much distance on a cast with bucktails with the corsairs as i can with my bass baitcaster. I am wondering if there are any reels that can get better distance casting bucktails? even the smaller bucktails. My friend had a calcutta and I really liked that reel, but it didn't out cast my corsairs by much if at all on some casts. Any suggestions for a good reel for casting bucktails?

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:01 pm

A couple quick questions...
What weight/type bucktails?
Are the bass reel and the corsair on the same rod when making the comparison?
Are the same line on the bass reel and the corsair?
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:31 pm

Same line on the bass reel as the corsair, TUF line 40lb or something like that. Although i dont have a lot of line on my bass baitcaster

Size of the bucktails 1-3 oz, highest ive gone is a DCG #10

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:35 pm

also different rod, a st croix that goes upto i think 1.5 oz baits, and my bucktail rod goes up to 3.5 oz bucktails i think, i cant remember the length, but its a longer rod and is specific for bucktails, even though with the corsair i can't get a really long cast out of it.

edalz

Post by edalz » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:55 pm

A article you may want to consider:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... an_be.html

Other ideas:
-Have someone videotape you casting. Sounds weird but I went to a LL Bean fly fishing school years ago and the way you think you actually cast vs what you see on video can be (2) very different things.

-Go to a football field and cast the same bait different ways and measure the performance. Change your grip slightly, throw the bait lighter than unusual and generally mix it up and see if the distance changes.

-Watch other good fishermen cast and see what they do.

-I like this this line conditioner and I use it sometimes.
http://www.lineandlure.com/

-Remember you don't want a super long cast because your hooksets won't be very strong.
"I wish ignorance was painful".

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:24 pm

So many variables can go into this...
- I'm not sure but I think the corsair has a line guide that doesn't move on the cast which would shorten casting distance

- with the 40# line it is possible that you are getting some line pinch (burying in the spool) on the corsair - that line really isn't meant for muskie fishing and is better suited to bass fishing, 80# line will resist burying much better

- the rod has to load in order to cast but it sounds like you are not having that problem based on the descriptions of the rods

- the spool brake on the reel can make a huge difference in how far you can cast - a spool brake set the "right way" will reduce casting distance

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:37 pm

Yea i have varied all different way's with casts and have also had several muskie lines. This TUF line is specifically for muskies, my friend was using a few years back when i was visiting them at their fishing camp.
[img]http://www.muskytackleonline.com/a ... 50 yards.

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:44 pm

ill also try cleaning them more often.

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:21 pm

swanezy wrote: Also something with a little higher gear ratio for faster retrieves with DCG's? my corsair is really tough to burn DCG's at times when muskies want something fast.
Just a warning, the higher gear ratio reel you get the harder it will be to retrieve big bladed bucktails. You will be able to reel them faster but your arms will feel it more. I used to use the 7000 with 4.1:1 but was finally convinced that it was too slow so i tried the induron 400 with a 5.1:1 and I like it a lot. And i would also move up to 80-100lb tuf line or another superline like spiderwire stealth.
The Musky Bandit strikes again!

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:46 pm

spiderwire ewww, never liked spider wire or fireline, with heavy baits that really seems to bog down on my reels.

Ya i think my corsair was 5:1, but still seemed like if i wanted to burn DCG's it still was hard to reel it fast enough.

edalz

Post by edalz » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:11 am

I used the 80 lb Invisabraid this year instead of my Power Pro and I liked it but I also think Power Pro is still good stuff.

http://www.spiderwire.com/cat.php?k=74406
"I wish ignorance was painful".

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:24 am

Spiderwire STEALTH is not the Spiderwire you are thinking of!!! Stealth is actually the best overall braided line probably, but all the brands are good.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:36 am

swanezy - Sorry, what I meant to say is that any 40# superline isn't suited to muskie fishing. That original Tuff line is limiting your casts a little because the braid isn't very tight. The second and third generation superlines like PowerPro, Spiderwire Stealth, Cortland Spectron, Suffix, etc. perform much better and the diameter of the 80# is probably similar to the 40# original Tuff.

I've tried a number of different lines and will continue to try others but I like PowerPro and Cortland the best so far.

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:40 am

Duke wrote:Spiderwire STEALTH is not the Spiderwire you are thinking of!!! Stealth is actually the best overall braided line probably, but all the brands are good.

I'll second that. I used Power Pro at first, but found the coating comes off much faster. I switched to the Stealth, and have no complaints. I could cast farther, and had less backlashes. Doesn't dig into the reel as much, and retains less water also. All in all, my favorite line. (Now if I can just get them to pay me to say that.... :grin: )

Scott Williams

Post by Scott Williams » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:44 am

I like Power Pro 80-100#. I also got some Stren Superbraid from last years banquet in 80# and that worked very well for me last season!!

Also as far as reels, I used the same Okuma reel Jason referred to earlier for a good number of hours this season, and I really liked it for most applications.

Scott