worst weather you've fished in....

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

finlander

worst weather you've fished in....

Post by finlander » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:26 pm

I'm really having trouble pulling the motor off the boat and putting it inthe basement for the winter. I want to troll Murray once more with 12 " baits. Snow wont scare me off, it's the chance of an icy ramp that does. So what is the worst weather you,ve been out in???

Moski

weather

Post by Moski » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:56 am

Last year up at Little Bay de noc. It hailed..... it hurt, and it did not help the fishing.

John E. Sox

Post by John E. Sox » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:31 am

I've definitely fished in some cold weather including days where you couldn't cast without the line freezing in the bail and a time that I broke ice at the launch for 45 minutes to get to the open water. My worst day was the day I had a small storm cell that actually moved from the East to the West. I thought the whole time that it was going to miss me until the rain and hail started. Long story short, there was so much rain and hail in my boat that I couldn't get it on plane. I ran the bilge for about 15 minutes until I got to the launch. Then, I pulled the plug and trailered my boat home and still had a straight stream of water coming out of it!

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:00 am

I learned one thing: you can't use braided line when the air temp is below freezing! :shock: :roll: :oops: Image

Also:

I was out for 8 hours in the rain from one of the hurricane leftovers we got here last summer (Ike?), a lot like John E. Sox's story. It rained constantly all day long. My boat filled with water quickly, and I had to run the bilge pump multiple times while fishing; I also emptied the bilge at the launch after pulling out by pulling the plug while the boat was on the steep part of the ramp, and water gushed out for about 3 minutes. Then I stupidly put the plug back in, and drove home in the pouring rain (with no cover on the boat). I was worried that if I left the plug out, I'd forget to replace it for next time... :oops:

When I got home, I jacked the trailer tongue up to get the boat at an angle, and again drained the bilge into a 5-gallon bucket. I filled that bucket 5 times before it was done... Just from driving home in the rain! [smilie=biggrin.gif]

I had the whole lake to myself though. :cool:
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:32 am

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these anglers from the pursuit of their quarry.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:34 am

One of Chemi's Laws:

"The dedication of the angler is proportional to the size of the fish sought."

:grin:
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

finlander

wow!

Post by finlander » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:49 am

You guys really want to get out of the house. I dont have a bilge on min.....yet. Snow to me would be easier to deal with. But i have never been out in freezing temps with braid. Dad and I years ago went perch fishing in his Sea Nymph after Christmas, by the sand docks. We lasted an hour. My circulation in my lower legs is not great anymore and I wonder if any of those winter boots would make any difference at all w/o adding a heat pack. Keep those wonderful stories coming.... [smilie=applause.gif]

Cyberlunge
Site Admin

Post by Cyberlunge » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:59 am

Well I went out in January one time with Pimp it was about 20 degrees and the lakes had blown open from a hellish wind. We spent twenty minutes doing donuts just below plane to break up the remaining ice in the bay we wanted to fish. Then we trolled for about four or five hours in a 15 mph wind that was stacking ice sheets on to the thicker stuff that was left. It was awesome. I have also had to snowblow ramps open so we could get in and I have doe more than one job of backing out onto the ice with the trailer to get it to break. Ice fishermen do not like me.

Kevin
If I wasn't born to fish then why am I here?

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:09 am

Notables...
- at least three inches of snow in LeMay's boat by the time we quit for the day

- an opening day snow storm on Bankson

- an ice pellet storm(s) a few weeks ago with Trevor

- big waves and big wind one November on St Clair

- lots of mornings that started in single digits... those first rays of sun feel so good on those days and also help the reels thaw out
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

adamminnick

Post by adamminnick » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:09 am

Everytime the mercury drops below 40, its terrible. Damn fish and their fat bellies....

Muskie Medic

Weather

Post by Muskie Medic » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:31 am

I remember being stuck out in anchor bay during a lighting storm with Mike stinson, and our graphite rods were humming. from the charge in the air . with no place to hide from the t-storm.

Broke through a inch of sheet ice to get out to open patch of water on murray in january, way below zero, snowing side ways..{still managed to catch a fish} but couldnt feel my face or fingers..
Todd

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:40 am

28 degrees and a west wind of 35mph, and beating it off the lake before 2 big thunderstorms rolled in. Steve

finlander

golfers or muskie fishermen...

Post by finlander » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:49 am

...who is more obsessed??????????????????

Esoxonthefly

Post by Esoxonthefly » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:54 pm

I'm pretty much a newbie but last Saturday at Thron was the worst I've seen yet. I'm sure there will be more to come as long I keep chasing these toothy critters.

Abomb

Post by Abomb » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:17 pm

Trolling around the middle of st. clair in a 16 foot boat with four foot waves. Wasn't horrible weather, it was actually nice out, but it was scary as hell. It wasn't my idea by the way.