pimping my boat

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

brandon

pimping my boat

Post by brandon » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:44 pm

i have a 12 foot aluminum boat thats served me well since i've had it and just got a new used 6 horse johson and would like to build a casting deck.
just wondering if anyone has done this before and how it worked out. i have some ideas on what im going to do but want some insight from someone else before i start. its a v hull with the 3 benches.thanks.

finlander

deck

Post by finlander » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:17 pm

I have put on in my 16 footer this year. It is cheap partical board with carpet over that. Going to add a pedesstal seat too. But my 16 footer can carry about 2100 lbs. Find out what your boat can handle first as far as weight. Hope you have a wide 12 footer. I wont go out in my cousins because it is tippy.

alafkas

casting platform

Post by alafkas » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:56 pm

I also have thought about that for my 14' seanymph, my question is what is the best way to support the platform in the bow. I also wonder how the particle board will hold up in the weather year after year.

brandon

Post by brandon » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:22 pm

ecactly what i was wondering how to support the platform. i was thinking 2 by 4's with some foam cushioning under them so it wont damage the bottom of the boat. i shouldnt need too many because i want to go across the front two benches and leave the space between the second and third so i can sit down with the tiller.also i want to make some storage compartments in the deck in the empty space under the ply wood. as for being tippy i would have to check that out because i'm always in the back because my trolling motor is back there. now if i build the casting deck up front there will be a foot operated trolling motor up front. i figure a piece of ply wood cut like a triangle right on the top rail would work i think. hope its not to tippy or i'll be upset.

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:49 pm

Don't forget to pimp the outside, too!

Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

alafkas

casting platform

Post by alafkas » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:03 pm

I was thinking that maybe bu cutting another piece of plywood that will fit in the bottom at the base of the front bench seat with 4"x4' holes cut to slide two of three posts down and keep them in place. I am fisherman not a carpenter. Might give it a go or else just continue to stand on the front bench.

finlander

pimpin da bote...

Post by finlander » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:26 pm

I had that 'chipboard just sittin around, same with the carpet. I plan on building a new one next year. I had a small deck already waaay up front that the bow battery sits on. I built the deck that the MinnKota is on too, and this small deck is under that. My Naden has 3 benches and a small one forward of those. Small dck lays on top of that forward seat to a bow brace. My deck runs from the front bench to that small bow deck. I have a pair of aluminum braces under this deck. It isn't pretty. I may prolly move the deep cycle under that deck for next year. I could add some hatches and storage for baits too. Plywood is prolly best, 3/8ths will suffice, esp if you brace it underneath. www.correllconcepts.com and scroll down to find boat conversions. He changed an 18 foot Lund. Some good ideas there you might be able to use. Good luck.

DeanV

12'

Post by DeanV » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:25 pm

I had built a casting deck on my 12' boat out of plywood (3/4"). One the plus side, it ran better with the casting deck than without since it helped the boat plan out nicely. On the down side, it was very, very tippy feeling. I ended up not using it because it did not feel safe in my boat.

I fitted a piece from the middle bench to the very front bench right at the bow and rested it on top of those two benches.

elk_n_esox_baby

pimp my boat

Post by elk_n_esox_baby » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:22 am

Try aluminum diamond plate. I put it in my aluminum boat. It's light, strong, will not rot or rust, looks professional, and makes for easy slip-free stand up fishing, even in rough chop. Wood and that other stuff weighs too much, looks like crap, and will not last.
Lets save this planet!

brandon

Post by brandon » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:53 pm

what do you mean put the dimond plate over wood framing for a casting deck or on the bottom of the boat.

elk_n_esox_baby

pimp my boat

Post by elk_n_esox_baby » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:10 pm

I had diamond plate cut to fit covering the front part of the boat (front 2 seats are the support). I bolted it down to the seats and painted it. Looks factory.
Lets save this planet!

brandon

Post by brandon » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:29 pm

that sounds cool thanks