Weagle

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Steve S

Weagle

Post by Steve S » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:41 pm

Placed a order with Rollie & Helen's for a Firefly LeLure Creeper and a Weagle. Will get the Creeper, but said don't hold your breath for a year on the Weagle. Didn't sound to happy with the person who makes the Weagle. Will I know you have talked to this guy, what's going on??

Steve

Wet A Line!

Kingfisher

Weagle

Post by Kingfisher » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:20 pm

Steve in his defense Ill guess he is swamped with orders and is having a tough time keeping up. The Weagle caused quite a stir and has been selling like wild fire. Its hard to make a good lure in great numbers and keep up the quality. Im guessing he is just behind in orders. Kingfisher

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:16 pm

The deal with the Weagle is that everyone wants one, or two, or three. Musky Nut isn't willing to sacrifice quality to make a lure that isn't right. The wood blanks have to be a certain weight to make the lure run right. Only about one in ten of the lure blanks are suitable to become a Weagle, the rest become a Wabull (weighted jerkbait). This aspect alone slows production. Combine that with one person painting, assembling, etc. and you'll have a lure that's hard to find.

Consider that the January Chicago show sold out of 300(+/-) Weagles in a day and a half! That's the greatest demand for a single lure I have ever heard of! The deamand hasn't let up since show season. With more Weagles on the water this summer the big fish catches are going to be impressive and the demand will probably increase. I've had one for just over a year, it's a must have bait. Unfortunately, some people are going to have to wait to get their lure. That's just part of the deal with handmade lures, they are built one at a time with care.

We had six at the Banquet and I think that the lowest selling Weagle was $55.

You might be able to find one on Ebay for under $50.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:40 pm

Thanks, Will Igot one one e-bay last night for the price you said. Not to wild about the color, black on top and looks like perch colored on the bottom. I might ask Tim Mottes if he could paint it black. Should get it next week. Thanks again, you da man!!

Steve

Wet A Line!!

MuskyDan

Post by MuskyDan » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:56 pm

Steve,

Wait til you try and fish it, it isn't that much fun. If you are anything like me and have done much casting with a jackpot than tossing a weagle will be like watching paint dry. With a ton of concentration you can work the weagle like a jackpot and it is awesome, but to do that death march thing, well just wait and see. I am not going to bad mouth the bait cause I believe it is going to be a great fish catcher, I am just not smart enough to use it. I have almost worn through the paint on my weagle casting it in the pond trying to get it down before season starts, I am getting close.

Good Luck,
MuskyDan

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:45 pm

Musky Dan, you lost me on the death march. Is this the short pull, reel short pull, reel. Or is it something else?

Thanks, Steve

Wet A Line!

MuskyDan

Post by MuskyDan » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:10 am

You'll have to ask the pro-staffer on that one! I am just listening to what I have heard on other boards about the proper way to work the bait. It involves having some slack line, and making the bait shoot from side to side, moving tons of water, and creating a specific noise with the bait/line as it lifts off the water. I was practicing with the bait again last night and I am getting a little better but I have found away to move the bait quickly through the water, more like a jackpot and it is sweet. The next time you "play with your weagle" try fishing it with a high rod giving the bait just short twitchs, almost taps, and do it quickly it produces a sweet action.
MuskyDan