Abu Garcia 7000i?

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Rob Pound

Abu Garcia 7000i?

Post by Rob Pound » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:59 am

Am putting a new rod/reel combo together for casting the bigger spinners and plastics. I have had a variety of reels over the years including just about every brand and model series except for the larger Abu Garcia 7000. I have heard these are superior for retrieving big bucktails due to larger gears and less gear mesh binding, but imagine they are also a handful at 21 oz weight and such a large frame. Can anyone comment on how using this reel compares to using other popular 5000 and 6000 series reels for retrieving large bucktails? I also just read the comparison chart provided for this topic in the latest issue of Musky Hunter Magazine and noted the larger reels their expert recommended. He didn't comment on how much more combersome this reel is to use.

Thanks,
Rob

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:35 pm

the 7000 with the 4.1:1 gear ratio is very nice for pulling in big bucktails because the reel does all the work for you. The power handle also helps out in reducing stress on the forearm, but the low gear ratio is the key. It is very large and can be difficult to hold so if I were you I would try holding the rod by the foregrip (cork above the reel). I think this also helps in getting stronger hooksets. I dont know how well the reel would be for throwing big plastic as you might have to reel superfast to work the bait. Ive also heard great things about the Okuma Induron 400 for throwing big bucktails and it would be much easier to hold since it is regular size.
The Musky Bandit strikes again!

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:47 pm

Rob,

I have fished the 7000 and didn't like the size. I also didn't like the slower speed reel because when I wanted something to go faster it was just too much work. Also, I don't use my big bucktails on the same rod/reel as the big plastics. I fish the big plastics on a higher gear ratio reel (6:1) but the big blades on a lower gear ratio (5:1). The Okuma Induron 400 that Jason mentioned as well as the Gander Mountain GS66 are good all around reels that handle the big blades and big plastics well. Both companies have excellent warranties.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Esoxonthefly

Post by Esoxonthefly » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:47 pm

Just a heads up but Gander is no longer selling the GS66. I took one back recently and they told me they were discontinuing the reel. They are still making the 45 and 55 though. Back to the original topic, is a 5:1 ratio okay to use with the double 10-13 bucktails? I keep hearing the same thing about the Abu 7000 being the reel of choice due to the lower gear ratio. I was told that the gears would get trashed using anything other than 4:1.

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:30 pm

5.1 will work for the bucktails. Thats what I use and it is very nice for those baits. Try to get a powerhandle as that will help.. You will feel the bait more than with a 4.1 but as Will said its hard to reel at faster speeds with such a low ratio like 4.1
The Musky Bandit strikes again!

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:43 pm

The Gander reel is the same as the Pflueger Trion 66, which isn't going to help if the Gander reel is discontinued but it is an option for a new reel. I guess that is one of the reasons to go with a big company like Okuma.

Bleieve it or not a lot of the guys fishing big tails all the time have changed to 6:1 reels like the Shimano Trinidad. I tried one in the pool at Chicago and it did smoke a Mojo XX at about 10 mph. A 5:1 would have been perfect on that reel in my opinion.

A quality 5:1 reel isn't going to have a problem with a double ten but at the same time you will trash the gears on a reel that isn't top quality (names withheld).

Scott Williams

Post by Scott Williams » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:48 pm

I've got a 7000 for big bucktails and I prefer it to my other reels for the double 10's. Even though the reel is heavier, I get less fatigued using it and cranking easier. Also the HUGE spool size can really get some speed even with the low gear ratio... I don't have a problem moving them fast! That is my opinion for what it is worth.
Scott

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:25 pm

Scott is that 7000 you have the 5:1? My Dad has one of those and likes it better than the 4:1 that I used to have.

John E. Sox

Post by John E. Sox » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:16 am

I have gone to almost all Pete Maina BPS 4.2 reels. They are the toughest reel that I have used for a good price. They have great customer service at BPS and their parts are a lot less expensive than Abu's. I still have a couple higher speed reels for burning bucktails but I try to use they lower geared reels whenever possible because they are better on my arms and take a lot longer to break down.

Scott Williams

Post by Scott Williams » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:06 pm

Will Schultz wrote:Scott is that 7000 you have the 5:1? My Dad has one of those and likes it better than the 4:1 that I used to have.
Yes Will, it is the 7000i HSN with a 5.3:1 gear ratio. I've never used one of the 4:1, so I couldn't comment on the difference. Mine has the narrow spool which makes the size manageable. Don't get me wrong it is still a heavy reel at 20 ounces, but I'm a pretty good sized guy so I can still cast it for 8 hours without much problem.

Rob Pound

7000i

Post by Rob Pound » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:23 pm

Thanks to everyone who commented. I didn't clarify that I will actually purchase a left-hand retrieve model. That narrows the field somewhat. I can certainly say that I am amazed how much easier it is retrieving big baits with larger reels. I own several Okuma Magda 30DX linecounters for trolling and am amazed how much easier it is to bring in the baits while the boat is in gear when clearing weekds from the baits. Of course, they are much larger and a larger crank handle. My current Abu Garcia 5601SSC3's have been one of my favorite casting reels, but I have also felt the labor of cranking in Double Cowgirls on them. I am willing to seek out a heftier reel for the reduced effort if I can find one that is suitable. I have also noted many positive reviews of the Shimano Calcutta CTE as well. They offer it in a 401 model for the left retrievers.[/u]

Deadduck1

Post by Deadduck1 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:00 pm

Does any one have any info on the Abu Garcia 6600 C5???
Would the child you once were, Be proud of the man you are today?

Chuck S.

Post by Chuck S. » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:54 pm

Hi DD,

Are you talking about the C5 Mag X, the one with the metalic green frame? I have two of em (the 6500 size). I got the first one at the Chi Show 3 or 4 years ago. It now needs repair/service. I bought another one last season from Whitecaps because Abu Garcia had made improvements (stronger gears, ect) supposedly. I like the reel but sometimes I accidently move the magnetic adjustment when palming the sideplate. I think that is an engineering flaw, in my opinion, the location (on the top of the sideplate) for the magnetic switch. Overall, the second generation version of the reel does seem to be more solid on the lures which pull harder, but that is not when I use it typically. I still use the old 7000 C3 workhorse for those size 10 blades and big dawgs. The C5 Mag-X is NOT the answer to the heavy duty applications needed today. However, on windy days the reel works very well because of that mag adjusment rather than having to rely on thumbing as a primary way of avoiding a run over backlash. I think you'll find it dependable for most casting situations, but again I don't like the location of that mag control switch. I guess I'm so used to it that I've learned to tolerate it, much like the push button on the 7000C3. Good Luck!
Chuck

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:00 pm

My fishing partner got a couple of the Double Cowgirls, either 10 or 13 blades. All he has is a 6500, will he fry this reel?

Steve

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:04 pm

The 6600 C5 (slightly lower profile, gold, 5.3 gear ratio) is ok for smaller baits. Didn't make the grade overall for me - just seemed to struggle under load of hefty lures and fish. Feels more like a bass reel than a musky reel, unfortunately.

The 6500 Mag X (full size, green, 5.3 gear ratio) is a bit better, like your typical 6000-series abu. Though this still is probably not the true workhorse that Steve's partner is looking for to handle dang double 13's! I went the opposite direction and swapped the gears in mine out for 6.3's and since it has been my go to jerkbait reel. Just needs to be serviced every year, or twice a year sometimes.

I go with a Pete Maina 4.2 maxed out with line and equipped with a power handle for harder tugging lures (for now). Not an option for lefties.