First Muskies

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

jasonrc

First Muskies

Post by jasonrc » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:23 pm

Hello All,

My dad and I have been sporadically trying for muskies the last few years with no success beyond several follows. Most of our time has been spent on Skegemog, which has been very frustrating. We even suffered through one very bad guide experience on St. Clair.

This year we finally broke the drought, with two succesful half day outings that included a 33" on the Black River and a 41" on Lake Ovid last Sunday. I have caught a lot of pike and what astounded me the most was how thick this fish was, especially in the back 1/3. I guess I was expecting them to be skinny this time of year.

I was fishing a manta about 1-2 feet below the surface and when the fish hit there was a massive explosion. Needless to say we are very excited and expect our trout fishing and duck hunting to decline some because of our new enjoyment for this sport.

I look forward to joining in the near future.

Jason

Bomba

Post by Bomba » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:30 pm

Welcome to the site and Congratulatoins on your first fish.....
Get ready cuz it's a Wild Wild Ride :wink:
Don Bomba

"PASS IT ON"

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:39 am

Welcome to the site. Good job Jason, there's always something cool about the first. Though it was more than 20 years ago I remember it like it was yesterday.

If you want to see what we're all about and have a chance to meet a few people before you join. We are having a cookout at Charlton Park on Thornapple Lake this Saturday at 12 noon. It's a good chance to fish the lake then meet/network with a bunch of MMA members. You don't have to be a member to attend the cookout and all we're asking for is a $10 donation that buys you lunch and a chance at a cool prize.

If you are intersted or want to know more drop me an e-mail or PM.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

jasonrc

Post by jasonrc » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:32 am

Will,

Thanks for the info. I am up north this weekend, but I would like to stop by one of the meetings sometime (Thurs. at Gander MT ?). Do I need to be a member prior to coming to the meeting?

Thanks,

Jason

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:37 am

In the summer we have less formal meetings on the water.

The next meeting will be on 7/23 at the Lake Ovid outing. The meetings are open to the public and you are more than welcome to attend the meeting and the outing. The outings are nothing more than a group of members getting together to fish for a day.

More details on the Ovid outing/meeting will be posted soon.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

MuskyDan

Post by MuskyDan » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:06 pm

Congratulations on your fish!!! I got the whole story from your dad, he called me up at Hick's. Good luck on Sanford, and stop in the store sometime.
MuskyDan

jasonrc

Post by jasonrc » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:37 am

MuskyDan,

Thanks for all the info you have given us. It has been a real big help. I'll stop in Hick's sometime. It is a great store. There aren't many places that you can buy bait and get a haircut. I used to go there all the time before I went away to college.

Jason

Kingfisher

Muskies

Post by Kingfisher » Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:28 pm

Welcome Jason, You are fishing some of the toughest waters in the state on Skegamog and the Chain of lakes. When you went to Ovid you gave yourself a better chance at scoring a fish. Try some of the other stocked lakes and as you learn the tricks then go back to the tough waters in a few years. It wont be as tough after you get a bunch of fish under your belt. If you need baits or Planer boards or would just like to fish with us some time send us an email. Mike and Shell King , Fishall Lures

kid coulson

Post by kid coulson » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:15 pm

Jason,
Congrats.

ps-King talks,you listen. -kid coulson

jasonrc

Post by jasonrc » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:33 am

Kingfisher,

Thanks for the advice. Cracking those chain of lakes is my ultimate goal because of the proximity to my parents cabin and I just cannot get enough of the natural beauty of those lakes.

Jason