Fall Fishing

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Esoxonthefly

Fall Fishing

Post by Esoxonthefly » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:21 pm

I know it's a ways off but I figured I'd ask early. What do I need to know about fall fishing? When is the season considered fall? What lures work best?

kid coulson

Post by kid coulson » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:53 pm

Esox,
My opinion,...Go big or go home.Big slow crankbaits in the fall.Not sure on the time,probably more water temp vs time.Late Sept maybe.
Ill be trolling some 9-16" lures.

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:13 pm

I love fishing Muskies in the fall. Water temps cooling down, cooler days less bugs. Its all good in the fall. I dont quite agree with the Kid on the Big baits thing but I did catch a big fish in december on a 13 inch lure trolled and a 9 inch lures(glide bait) in the same day. However I catch more Muskies on Talonz Little claws in the fall than any other lure. September is about when I start thinking its fall. Muskies will start to get a little more aggressive as the days get shorter and the water cools. Late september thru December finds the lack of personal water craft to be a big plus for me as I find myself alone on many Musky lakes this time of year. Hunting also takes a lot of guys off the water. The fish are bigger towards the end of season as they move less and store more fat. Slow moving bigger baits seem to get bitten when water temps are 48 and colder. But there are times where little tiny bass baits fished slow are the only thing going.Lake Webster has shown me this two years in a row(December and January) 2006. I even took a Musky with a weagle in November(top water) it was unreal. I dont put away a single lure in the fall. Bucktails, spoons, Claws,Glides ,cranks and even topwater baits. Trolling St Clair in October is fantastic as we found out boating three 50 plus inchers in two days. Same lures we fished all season and the same presentations. Even the same way points. I love fishing Muskies in the Fall. Mike and Michelle
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

http://www.fishall-lures.com

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:20 am

Fall...
I think fall when temps drop below what I consider summer temps, somewhere below 65 F. I don't change lures that much from summer to fall other than a few specialty lures like the Talonz Deep Threat or deep water jigs. For the most part what gets it done in summer gets it done in the fall for me.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.