Getting started

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Esoxonthefly

Getting started

Post by Esoxonthefly » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:02 pm

I've been preparing myself to catch muskies with my flyrod but I'd also like to give it a try with conventional tackle. What kind of reel should I use? Is it specific to the types of lures I'm using? I unfortunately have to work on a budget so if I could find an "all purpose" setup that would work best for now. Also, what line should I use? Braided, fluoro, or mono? Any basic lure suggestions would be great too. Thanks.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:18 pm

Gander Mountain is probably your best bet. Their Guide Series rods and reels are very good quality and they have an excellent over the counter warranty. Their 7'6" rods are a good all around rod and their GS66 baitcaster is a reasonably priced reel that I've been using for a couple years that have shown great durability. PowerPro is my lince of choice but Stren and Cortland both make good superbraid lines. For most purposes you'll want to spool your reel with 80# and the line should end with a high quality steel leader.

Lures are a tougher call, talk to ten guys and you'll get ten different answers. Here are a few that aren't the most trendy lures out there but flat out catch fish, better yet they won't break the bank.
Rapala Super Shad Rap
Mepps Bucktail (giant killer, aglia and marabou)
Grandma 7 1/2"
Grandma 9"

With these you can cover all depths casting and trolling.
Last edited by Will Schultz on Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

kid coulson

Post by kid coulson » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:16 pm

Esox,
Dont forget the mono backing on your reel of choice if going with a
superbraid type line.And the stuff that most people overlook when first
getting started: a big enough net
hook cutters
long nose pliers
split ring pliers
camera
basic first aid kit
Ebay can be a place to find some cheaper stuff,but remember big lures
and big fish are HARD on equipment.Good luck!!!

adamminnick

Post by adamminnick » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:48 am

Those guys hit it on the head for the essentials, but I would recommend that you purchase one more important piece of equipment. Your going to need a boot with a 3 ft stick attatched to it so you can kick yourself in the ass for starting this insanity. Tight lines.

kid coulson

Post by kid coulson » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:51 am

4-sure!!! LOL!! :lol: