Ice Out

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Esoxonthefly

Ice Out

Post by Esoxonthefly » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:49 pm

Obviously I'm new to this but I've read that pike move into the shallows once water temps reach about 45 degrees or so and muskies about 10 degrees later. My question is: Typically when can I expect to see water temps reach that magic number here in southern Michigan and specifically Thornapple Lake which is the closest muskie lake to me. I know this year is different because of how late winter finally came this year but a general guide would help a lot. Hopefully I'll have plenty of pics to lure you all to the darkside. :evil:

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:24 pm

Ice out type fishing isn't available in Michigan very often because the season is closed during that time. Thornapple closed on 11/30 and will not open until the last Saturday in April. This also applies to Hudson and Bankson. Other lakes in the Lower Peninsula close on March 15th and open again on the last Saturday in April - Pike also follow this season. By the end of April most fish have gone through the spawning motions and the water temps are in the upper 50's to low 60's.

It's a rare spring that we loose ice before the season closes on March 15th.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.