First Lure

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Lureless

First Lure

Post by Lureless » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:04 pm

If you were to suggest a lure or two to someone just starting out in muskie fishing what would it be?

Kingfisher

first lure

Post by Kingfisher » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:05 am

I would suggest first a good Black bucktail with a Nickel blade and a tan perch twitch version Little Claw. I caught about 45 Muskies on those two baits this past year. If you were talking bout trolling lures an Olive frog and Coco perch Slasher in the jointed version. Kingfisher

windknot

Post by windknot » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:27 am

7" Suicks one bright Orange or Chart. One natural Perch or Sucker. Easy to work and a lot of bonus fish pike/bass to keep you on your toes.Till the Ski shows up.

Good Luck.

Windknot
Love'm & leave'm

Cyberlunge
Site Admin

Post by Cyberlunge » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:15 am

Hey Lureless !

I missed this somehow earlier ?? I would suggest sticking with a few basics until you build some confidence.

Minnow baits- Jakes are a favorite as well as grandmas also dont overlook the usefulness of good old Rapalas and the Super shad raps, decent prices and good results. Stick with silver/black, gold black, firetiger.

Spoons- An overlooked low priced effective option. I fish alot of spoons and prefer Daredevles. Good old red and white, crackle frog and chartreuse top the list.

Spinners- Hard to go wrong plus the bonus of other species, I like the Mepps marabou series and traditional hair tails in a multitude of colors. I would stick with these due to cost until you find a groove and expand into the much more $$ pricey mjusky baits.

KK
If I wasn't born to fish then why am I here?

Slimeball

Post by Slimeball » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:38 am

1. -Bucktail
2. -Crankbait

MuskyDan

Post by MuskyDan » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:11 pm

9" suick!!! Something bright that can be seen. It is a great fish catcher and it will teach the rookie fisherman some of the basic jerks, twitches they will need with other lures. It will also help the student with casting especially into the wind.
MuskyDan

Kingfisher

used lures

Post by Kingfisher » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:04 pm

Lureless, I have about 20 bucktails that are going to go on ebay. They are one season old. Lots of good hair and Ill replace any blades that need paint. 2 bucks each you want any? Mike and Michelle

Lureless

Thanks

Post by Lureless » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:59 am

Thanks for all the info from everyone. Hopefully I can make it to one of the swaps at some point. I plan on joining MMA after the new year.

King- Thanks I actually have tons of bucktails. We made a ton of them two years ago when we first started the hunt.

Merry Christmas and Happy new year everyone!