Murray Lake-Muskie ID

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

JohnD

Murray Lake-Muskie ID

Post by JohnD » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:05 pm

I recently caught & released a 45" Northern Muskie in Murray Lake (Kent Co.). After measuring the fish & getting a quick photo I released the fish. It turns out the photos were not in focus and in my hast to release the fish I can not remember if the fish was clear, spotted, or barred. Can anyone familiar with Murray Lake help me out as to which strain of Muskie I caught? Thanks

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:14 pm

I am no master on the subject, but I believe the bigger ones in there right now are clear, but all the fry that are getting stocked in there are spotted iowa strains. Again, im not positive, but im sure someone on here will know.
The Musky Bandit strikes again!

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:33 pm

I'll try not to be too long winded...

What you are referring to is color phase not strain, strain is specific to where the fish originated (Mississippi/Leech lake, Wisconsin, Ohio, etc.). The muskies in Murray normally have a barred coloration which can appear very distinct on smaller fish and generally becomes muted on larger fish. Basic coloration tends to be lake specific and fish that are from the same broodstock can look very different from one water to the next. Until 2006 Murray had only been stocked with Mississippi strain but this summer it was stocked with fry that were collected in Thornapple or Hudson (Michigan/Wisconsin strain).

The northern strain that Michigan recognizes is either the Mississippi strain that we (MMA) acquired for the Wolf Lake Hatchery or the Michigan (Wisconsin) strain that are collected from Thornapple and Hudson. Here are some examples of fish from around Michigan and Ontario with different colorations within the same strain.

Mississippi strain barred (Murray fish):

Mississippi strain - spotted:

Mississippi strain - clear:

A few variations of spotted great lakes strain:

A clear great lakes strain:
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

JohnD

Post by JohnD » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:06 pm

Thanks for all the help and generalized education. I'm sure what I caught was a Mississippi stain with a barred color phase. The experience was overwhelming and will now give me another fish to match wits with other then walleye. This was my first Muskie of any size and the first out of Murray. Have also fished Thornapple, Hudson and St. Clair, all with very limited success (28" from St Clair was my previous best). Once again, thanks and hope to see you out on the water.
John D.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:51 pm

John - No problem and welome to the board. Good luck out there and I'm happy to hear she went back for another angler to enjoy the thrill that you got from her. As I've said before on here, I love hearing the success stories of the MMA stocking. If you are inclined there is a member application on the main page of our site or you can follow this link http://www.michiganmuskiealliance.org/n ... er_app.pdf

With membership you'll get access to a members only area on this forum with fishing reports from all over Michigan.

Jason and John - If you aren't doing anything on Saturday evening we're having a lure swap over in Okemos. It would be great to meet you.

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:38 pm

Thanks for the invite, and I might have to show up to that. Can you send me more information about it to jmv26@calvin.edu? Also, I am going to become a member, but Im going to wait until the new year, so if I dont cya on saturday ill cya in the near future.
The Musky Bandit strikes again!

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:24 pm

jasonvkop wrote:Thanks for the invite, and I might have to show up to that. Can you send me more information about it to jmv26@calvin.edu? Also, I am going to become a member, but Im going to wait until the new year, so if I dont cya on saturday ill cya in the near future.
The info is posted on the events section:

http://www.michiganmuskiealliance.org/f ... =8303#8303

Pineisland

Post by Pineisland » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:02 am

Actually, the only year Murray ever got Iowa muskies was 2005. Otherwise it was always the MI fish.

This past year it was stocked with fry for the first time. It will be interesting to see how they produce.
Tom

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:35 am

Pineisland wrote:Actually, the only year Murray ever got Iowa muskies was 2005. Otherwise it was always the MI fish.

This past year it was stocked with fry for the first time. It will be interesting to see how they produce.
It would appear that way if you looked at the stocking data. However, the fish on the stocking data are not always listed correctly. They're all Iowa fish except the fry in 2006.

JohnD

Post by JohnD » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:11 am

Its nice to read the comments from my question about Murray Lake.
From what I've gathered from the feedback is Michigan reconizes the Northern strain of muskies. This includes the Mississippi stain obtained from Wolf Lake and the Michigan strain obtained from either Thornapple or Hudson.
From Will's comments, it appears that the Iowa fish are from the Mississippi stain and obtained from Wolf Lake, therefore all fish stocked in Murray previous to 2006 orginated from there. In 2006, Murray received the Michigan strain fry form either Thornapple or Hudson Lakes.
Am I close?
One last question. I know that in the early 90's Tiger Muskies were stocked in Murray. Do any of those fish still exist in there?
Also I would like to thank Will for the the invitation to the lure swap at Franks. I met several interesting people and picked up some good information and half a dozen lures.
Congratulations to your organizaton and keep up the good work.
JohnD

Pineisland

Post by Pineisland » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:19 am

Up until 1991, the tigers were stocked each year. It would be a real long shot to still have one in there, but not impossible. No stockings were done from 91 until the lake prescription was changed in 98 to Northern Muskies. In 98 and 2000 the MI northern muskies were stocked. In 03 and 05, the muskies stocked were from the Iowa fish that MMA was involved with.

Will is correct that on the Web, the 03 fish were listed incorrectly. All others are accurate. The 06 fry plant once again were MI fish.
Tom

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:37 am

Pineisland wrote: In 98 and 2000 the MI northern muskies were stocked. In 03 and 05, the muskies stocked were from the Iowa fish that MMA was involved with.

Will is correct that on the Web, the 03 fish were listed incorrectly. All others are accurate. The 06 fry plant once again were MI fish.
Tom - Please don't take this the wrong way but I want to point out that, according to Martha, all Michigan fish @ Wolf Lake were lost (disease) in 1998 and 2000. Therefore all fish stocked in 98 and 2000 are from outside Michigan sources. Apparently Iowa had a significant number of "extra" fall fingerlings in those years. These two years are actually what prompted me to set up the Iowa transfer program in 2001 that has continued since that time.

Pineisland

Post by Pineisland » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:41 am

I will double check for you Will, to see if those are also entered wrong on the system and see if we can get that fixed.
Tom

Pineisland

Post by Pineisland » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:19 am

Double checked lot codes, and this is the actual data :
(not that its that big of a deal, but we might as well be accurate, eh ?)

98 IA
00 MI
03 IA
05 IA
06 MI

The database on the web may or may not be corrected to show this at some point, but this is right off lot codes.
Tom

NSTAGATOR

Post by NSTAGATOR » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:57 pm

Didn`t we get some hoosier fish one year when we lost a whole batch??

DU