End of season lure question...

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Chasin50

Post by Chasin50 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:39 pm

Best new bait: Chatterbait...
Worst new bait: Kickin Minnow. Heavy, and not durable
Most over rated: Not one particular bait, but generally gliders... I love the artwork some of the baitmakers are creating, and I throw them a lot because they look so damn good, but they suck! But, I will keep buying more...

NSTAGATOR

Post by NSTAGATOR » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:58 pm

Fish do seem to miss a lot of gliders..............almost like walk the dog topwater...........just so fun to watch though :cry:

Chuck S.

Post by Chuck S. » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:47 pm

Best new lures for me were:

Manta 8" (THE color was so hot you can't find it in stock again until
2007)

Dunright Dancer 8.5" A load to cast at 5 oz but didn't have to cast it for
long periods on most occasions in July

Best of the older stuff in the box:

Rad Dog A great grinder using smaller blades than factory standard
this summer

Jig/Plastic Used successfully this year in 90 degree, blue bird
summer conditions when they ignored all else

Triple D Amazing versatility in the design and engineering
( I hope Dick Pearson made a ton when he sold it early
in 2006.....he should have)

No Luck or No Patience (maybe no skill either)

Top water
Chuck

Cyberlunge
Site Admin

Post by Cyberlunge » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:24 pm

Interesting thoughts... thanks to everyone for replying.

As for me,

I really like my jointed slashers, I have a particular fondness for the $9 bass, Also the good old full size Ernie in Firebelly did his job this year.

I have to go with Duke on the Bullhead, looks awesome but haarrrdddd to use. The problem I have is that working it so slow makes it sink and it is hard to keep in the zone, I do like it for a drag bait over the side though.

Historically- I just cant get suicks to do their "thing" I know its not the bait but I had so many that won't run right and lack of fish = no confidence.

Kevin
If I wasn't born to fish then why am I here?

MuskyTom

Post by MuskyTom » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:30 pm

For the suicks, I don't even know what their "thing" is supposed to look like. All they ever do for me is pull down and maybe slightly to one side and then back up. I know some people get them to kinda go to one side then the other, but I still don't know what I am doing when it comes to Suicks.

john c

FYI - If you're interested...

Post by john c » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:35 am

Duke wrote: Worst new lure for the year is no contest, a real laugher- the Real Fish Bullhead. Reeling at anything more than stupid-slow, or any kind of light pull, produces a belly-up swimming motion ! And all his whiskers fell out after about 5 normal cast/retrieves...
The Realfish Sucker didn't give me the problems that you mentioned about the Bullhead.

John E. Sox

Post by John E. Sox » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:44 pm

I saw Duke's realfish bait swimming... I can't believe he kept it on as long as he did. It was one of those baits you can't wait for opener to throw and then it never sees action again.

john c

Post by john c » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:14 pm

Well, apparently I just guessed correctly when I picked out the sucker version of the Realfish baits. It looks pretty good in the water (and swims upright). I just need to catch something on it yet!

Charles J Lynema

Post by Charles J Lynema » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:26 pm

Best NEW lure I would say is my storm 10" kick'in minnow perch pattern.I do'nt have a worst NEW lure , overrated I would say are my bucktails and I have them in every color and throw THEM EVER TIME I AM ON THE WATER, WITH FEW HITS........CHUCK L.

Slimeball

Post by Slimeball » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:06 am

Best new bait
I have about 40 lures total now, of which i'll pick maybe 10-15 to bring with me in the boat for that day.I dont have a lure I dont like.

Chasin50

Post by Chasin50 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:16 am

Slimeball wrote:Best new bait
I have about 40 lures total now, of which i'll pick maybe 10-15 to bring with me in the boat for that day.I dont have a lure I dont like.
You are very diciplined... I have about 700 lures, and I take about 250 with me every time I go to the lake. However, I just said last night, I COULD HAVE taken less than 20 all season, and would have caught the same fish. This is a goal for me next year... simplify... assemble 1 or 2 of each bait style, and leave the rest home... less is more...

Slimeball

Post by Slimeball » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:30 am

I used to have lots and lots too :) . Keeping it simple and getting back to basics has made me a better angler.

Cyberlunge
Site Admin

Post by Cyberlunge » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:35 am

Slimeball-

You know that crappy lure is pretty beat up, why dont you treat yourself to a new one and send that one to me... I'll take good care of it I swear!!

Kevin
If I wasn't born to fish then why am I here?

Slimeball

Post by Slimeball » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:56 am

Cyberlunge wrote:Slimeball-

You know that crappy lure is pretty beat up, why dont you treat yourself to a new one and send that one to me... I'll take good care of it I swear!!

Kevin
:D After a short 12 day career, it is now retired :wink: . By the way that's a new 8" Surface Twitch by Big Game Tackle Co.

pikerule2

Post by pikerule2 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:54 am

The Realfish Bullhead did well for me this year, including my best fish of the year so far. It runs well, upright and with a wobble I like due to a curved bottom vs. the flat bottom of Bulldawgs. But yes the whiskers and eyes were gone instantly and it's easily torn up, have tried to keep it going via surgical melting jobs with limited results. My best baits of the year were Claws for numbers and some better fish too.

I don't think I caught any on bucktails but didn't use them much. And though I'm going to keep trying because of many good reports, so far I can't catch a fish on a Triple D.