Im looking for new Rod/Reel for 09 season.

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:33 pm

Just a word of warning for those reels though. My brother and I got three of the mania BPS combos when we were first starting off and had some huge inconsistencies with the reels. I believe all three reels broke fairly quickly with one of them breaking within two weeks. We did get them replaced and a couple of those worked really well for a couple years. Have heard this situation on many of the musky forums too; some last a long time and are very good while others break right away and are junk. I personally wont buy another one as I dont want to take the chance of one breaking on me and going through the hassle of replacing it. Anyone use the Shimano Corvalus? Thinking about getting one for the upcoming season.
The Musky Bandit strikes again!

edalz

Post by edalz » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:41 pm

Will Schultz wrote:That 4:1 might be good for a grinding reel, lots of power for double 10 blades and big cranks.
One of the most important things that I have learned on my reels is to get one with a lower ratio. I would also look for one that either comes with a power handle or you can add a power handle for double 10's and anything larger and it makes a huge difference while fishing.
"I wish ignorance was painful".

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:05 pm

edalz wrote:
Will Schultz wrote:That 4:1 might be good for a grinding reel, lots of power for double 10 blades and big cranks.
One of the most important things that I have learned on my reels is to get one with a lower ratio. I would also look for one that either comes with a power handle or you can add a power handle for double 10's and anything larger and it makes a huge difference while fishing.
I prefer a middle of the road gear ratio unless I have a rod that is lure/retrieve specific. For instance, I like the middle of the road 5:1 for most stuff (including double tens w. a power handle) but I'm probably going to bite the bullett this year and get a large saltwater reel with 6:1 for BIG blades. I also really like a high speed reel for jerkbait and some crankbait retreives because taking up slack with 6:1 is so easy compared to 5:1.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:14 pm

Will Schultz wrote: I also really like a high speed reel for jerkbait and some crankbait retreives because taking up slack with 6:1 is so easy compared to 5:1.

A couple of years ago, I was fishing with a 6:1. I LOVED it for cranking in smaller bucktails. It was a low profile baitcaster. Turning double 10's was kind of a chore, though.

ron berry

Post by ron berry » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:20 pm

i have a corvalus and hate it,my calcutta 400 has been great for 4 years,and my guide series worked good last year,im hoping the okuma 400 i bought this year works out

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:37 pm

yea to be honest the corvalus looks like the corsair reeels, just a newer edition and they are mediocre. Over the years that i have had 2 of them, I never had any problems with them except my dad breaking one of them when he couldn't cast my glider and it broke my reel

ron berry

Post by ron berry » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:17 pm

yup corsair is the same as the corvalus same parts

BillK

Post by BillK » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:10 pm

John E. Sox wrote:The best advice I can give someone is to stick with one type of reel and learn how to repair it. I buy the Pete Maina reels and have parts on hand for when they break down. Normally these reels will break pawls but are pretty flawless besides that. Casting muskie baits is probably the ultimate punishment for a baitcasting reel. When you combine the heavy, no-stretch line, heavy baits, tons of reeling, and opening and closing of the bail, you are being pretty tough on a reel. I quit looking for one that wouldn't break down a long time ago.
John, I found your post while searching for reel repair info. I fish for musky in Indiana and think the Maina round reels are a good deal for the $. I was wondering if you knew how to remove the right bearing from the spool axle. There is a drive pin through the right side of the axle so either that would need to be pressed out or the axle itself pressed out from the spool left to right (right handed reel). Any insight would be appreciated.
Bill K

3/9/09 Update:
First off, good to see the site back on line. I found the answer to my question and thought I'd post it in case anyone else could use it. The bearing is replaced by pressing out the pin in the axle. I made a press by cutting a notch in a set of pliers. Here is a pic from the article and a link to a good page regarding bearings:
http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/ ... 4&t=626171