Looking to get 2 new reels, any advice?

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Bryan Saenz

Looking to get 2 new reels, any advice?

Post by Bryan Saenz » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:48 pm

I have 2 shimano calcuttas and love them, thinking about getting 2 cardiffs 301's or 401's..prolly 301;s...easier to cup for lots of casting, from shimano, but also looking at the high BB tica reels. I have had abu's and hate all of them, dont hold up. I use a lefty reel, so anyone have something they would recommend ?

Kingfisher

REELS

Post by Kingfisher » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:13 pm

Hi Bryan, You cant go wrong with the Calcuttas. As you know I had trouble with Abu Records but in defense of Abu I sent both of them in for repair along with an older 5600 d6 that was no longer under warranty and got three brand new reels back in 5 days. I just said wow! thats customer service. If you are looking for a lower profile reel I would look hard at the 300 St. Croix. My wife uses the 250 and 300 and has had no trouble with either. I used the 300 and its much better for cupping in the palm than my Abus are.200 bucks a pop not as pricey as the Calcuttas but equal quality. Mike
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

http://www.fishall-lures.com

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:33 pm

Calcutta... if you put any kind of significant hours on the reels plan on sending them in a couple times each year.

Abu Garcia... recent quality issues that were to have been addressed with the new reels has not.

Pflueger... I am overly impressed with the Trion 66 and can't say enough good things about it! They make it in a LH - http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/products ... ts.php?p=8
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Duke

Post by Duke » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:05 pm

I used a Trion 2 seasons ago, got only about 2/3 of a season or so out of it before it died. Sent it back that same season, they returned a new reel and a $20 invoice I believe it was. Not super impressed with that (after dealing with Abu, anyway...). I put that brand new reel back in the original box from Cabela's, returned it and got a new Abu!

That 2005 reel looked a little different than this years, might have changed? The Trion was the same as the BPS Maina reel (or I guess the Maina reel is a Pflueger I should say) internally. Virtually identical. We have had some real workhorse Maina reels, and others that didn't hold up to the fire. Funny thing is Maina doesn't offer lefty, Trion does, go figure. Overall I would say the Trion/Maina is a decent reel, some are solid, and others will fail.

In the Ford vs. Chevy world of reels, I personally fall strongly on the Abu side.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:49 pm

That's funny Duke, the Trion is supposed to be an over the counter exchange if there are any problems at all.

windknot

Post by windknot » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:10 pm

St.Croix don't make a Lefty.

Windknot
Love'm & leave'm

Bryan Saenz

Post by Bryan Saenz » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:48 pm

thanks guys....i'm between shimano Cardiff 301a and a Trion ..
ps.. I have got 3 full seasons out of my calcuttas without any problems, but i can assume its always the 1 out of 100 or less or more that have issues.

Kingfisher

Trion reels Phluger

Post by Kingfisher » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:56 pm

I have two of the low profile Trion Bass style reels. I dont know the model number as its not on the reel unless its on the bottom of the reel seat. 99 bucks and never an issue. This is a small capacity reel though. I toss light small baits with it on a st. Croix flippin stick. It my main pike and bass rod but I use it lot on lakes that have a lot of small Muskies.I like The Phluger quality. Spirit lake tells me there are upgrades coming for the records soon. A replacement gear for the antireverse that wont go out. Over all I liked the smoothness of the reels but was not impressed in the durability. We did pound them though and they made it through the entire season (barely). Good luck with the Cardiff I know nothing about them. Kingfisher
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

John E. Sox

Post by John E. Sox » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:57 am

I've never used the $300 model Shimano reels so I can't say they aren't great. I can say that their reels that are closer to $100 have been 100% failures for me. They were good on customer returns but after replacing one every month or two it gets a little old. I do a ton of casting and have had great success with the $100 Abu's and Maina's as well. They aren't quite as smooth or comfortable as some reels but they have mostly metal parts and are very tough.
Question- is there any significant difference between the Trion and the Maina?

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:09 am

John E. Sox wrote: Question- is there any significant difference between the Trion and the Maina?
Dad has been using a Maina reel for years and hasn't had a problem - so I've never had to look inside. Pflueger builds the Gander Guide series reels and internally there are the same as the Trion. Instead of the 4.2:1 and 5.2:1 reels like the Maina/BPS the Gander reels are offered in a 5.2:1 and a 6.2:1. If Pflueger builds both the BPS and Gander reels I would like to get my hands on some of the 4.2:1 Gearing.

Hamilton Reef

Post by Hamilton Reef » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:44 pm

Side track, but I need one used Diawa SG27LC for my steelhead and walleye fishing in case anyone is thinking of putting one out in their yard sale.

Kingfisher

Calcutta

Post by Kingfisher » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:04 pm

Bryan, If you like the Calcutta why step dow to someting of a lesser reel. I would replace my most used reel with another new Calcutta :) :) . I might be looking at new St. Croix reels for me in a couple years. I have smaller hands and like the lower profile of the S. Croix. Too bad about the no left hand models. Mike
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

Scott Williams

Post by Scott Williams » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:26 pm

I really like my new Tica Caiman... the gold one. I haven't had it long enough to put serious hours on it, but it is very smooth, and it is very easy to take apart for maintenance. If it still holds up for a full season I will be very happy. So far... so good!!

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:34 pm

Bryan Saenz wrote:thanks guys....i'm between shimano Cardiff 301a and a Trion ..
ps.. I have got 3 full seasons out of my calcuttas without any problems, but i can assume its always the 1 out of 100 or less or more that have issues.
That is simply amazing - you would be the first person I've ever heard say that. I'm going to guess it has more to do with the lures and your fishing style than the reel.

The Daiwa is another to consider, I've heard great stuff about the Luna. They make it in LH also.

Every manufacturer can have problems. Let's face it, casting and retrieving big lures hundreds of hours a season is going to take its toll. Certain lures and retrieves tend to eat up reels faster than others.

Bryan Saenz

Post by Bryan Saenz » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:34 pm

yea Will, I get that a lot, most people cant believe I havent had problems with shimano, I think Ron has had good luck as well with his. I'm even pretty rough on them, and they have held up.

I would like more calcuttas, but i can get 2 cardiffs for the prics of one calcutta..haha

Scott, what size TICA do you have, I think they look good, u think they are worth the money?