Hiring Will as a Guide

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

spnplugger

Hiring Will as a Guide

Post by spnplugger » Thu May 13, 2010 8:12 am

Yesterday, I hired Will to take me out on Murray. Even though I've spent hundred of hours on that lake over the past three years, Will showed me places I would swear wouldn't hold fish. But they were there!

Further, he showed me key information on retrieving different lures that I never would have learned on my own. He is a wealth of information, and time with Will will greatly shorten your learning curve. He both clarified things I've heard him say in the past, and added detail to situations I didn't fully understand.

Many of us don't blink an eye spending $200 on a good piece of equipment. But we won't spend the same amount for training. I found what he showed me to be invaluable. If you desire to get better at the muskie game, set up a time to go with Will. You won't be sorry.

Charlie

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Thu May 13, 2010 10:27 am

Thanks for the kind words Charlie. Now you can put those new tools to work for you and catch come of those mid-40" fish we played with yesterday.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Hamilton Reef

Post by Hamilton Reef » Sun May 16, 2010 7:45 pm

I've passed Will's name on to other future MMA members. It would be good to get new muskie fishers started off right before they get too discouraged or learn bad habits. This will be especially important as we expand to Hamlin Lake with a large new regional group of potential muskie nuts.

LeMay

Post by LeMay » Tue May 18, 2010 3:44 pm

$200.00 is cheap to get Will in the boat for a day. You could use up that much in gas trying learn a lake. [smilie=2c.gif]
My undersized MUSKIE just ate your trophy Bass!!

Scrappy

Post by Scrappy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:57 pm

I'm about a month late on this but better late than never. I hired Will for a day about a month ago. We moved a couple of fish but for the most part it was a tough day. Nevertheless, it was a great day given what I learned. When I hired Will I told him that I wanted to make this more a tutorial/hands on learning session than a put me on fish trip---albeit that would have been a bonus. Will did not let me down and spent a great deal of time talking to me and/or responding to my questions about locations and seasonal movements. He also, as I asked, spent a good deal of time showing me how to better work certain lures and correcting me as I was trying to apply what I learned. I really had a great day with Will. I would highly recommend that you spend a day on the water with Will if you can and focus more on learning techniques and tactics as opposed to just trying to catch a fish.

Now, if only he would only teach me how he "smells" where the fish are located I'd be all set. [smilie=bangtard.gif]
Stupid Fish!!!!

Chris Musselman

Post by Chris Musselman » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:20 pm

I'll get in on this bandwagon. Gotta say I agree with both of these guys I hired Will for a day on the Chain and I couldn't have been more happy. The amount of information you can get out of him is worth 10x the money paid, my only regret is not taking a notebook. Will is as good as it comes, the guiding experience was flawless, his boat control and knowledge of the lakes kept me confident and excited through a 10+ hour day. We contacted multiple fish and landed a beautiful 45 incher and for the chain of lakes thats a dream day. Hire him, you will face no regrets.
If I'm not going to catch fish. I might as well not be catching Muskies...

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:56 pm

spnplugger wrote: I found what he showed me to be invaluable.
Charlie
LeMay wrote:$200.00 is cheap to get Will in the boat for a day. You could use up that much in gas trying learn a lake. [smilie=2c.gif]
Chris Musselman wrote: The amount of information you can get out of him is worth 10x the money paid
Holy cow... Why don't you guys give him more reasons to raise his price? :roll: :mrgreen:

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:31 am

Stop... you're making me blush :oops:

Thanks all for the nice things you've said. When I got started in the muskie game so many years ago I wish there would have been a guide to hire. It would have cut many years and thousands of dollars off the learning curve if someone would have shown me how to fish certain lures/lakes, how to identify the best spots and why the fish do what they do through the year.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.